Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester 92 25-20, when I action a round thru the rifle bullets back into case. Bullets have a heavy crimp and do not see them hit anything. Any ideas?
Thanks Jack

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Perhaps too heavy of a crimp? Might be " squishing " the case enough to ruin neck tension from full-length sizing. Try no crimp and see if trouble gets better, or goes away.

Cheezywan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
Expander too large, most likely. What is the expander diameter, and what is the diameter of the bullets you are using?

You would probably want the expander to be no larger than 0.001" - 0.002" under bullet diameter.

·
Inactive account
649 Posts
Jack,
Another possibility is that the base of the bullet has no support if you are using an 86 gr. bullet. Switch to a capacity load of H322 or similar powder and your troubles will be behind you.:)

John

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
I'd listen to John - one of the best reloaders of old time cartridges I have ever been acquainted with. His tips on the M94 32-40 reloading was spot on.

·
Inactive account
315 Posts
I've found this caliber to be problematic for the exact reason MikeG mentions. I polished my Lee expander down to .2545" (from .2565") w/emory paper and the problem went away in all 4 rifles I shoot this in (1892, Savage Sporter, 2 Rem Model 25s)....

Take a loaded round and press against your reloading bench. If you can easily push the bullet then you know your expander is too big....

Also I purchased a Lyman Universal Expander Die for short .25s as I kept having bullets collapse the case until I started belling the case mouth....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.