Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to hear from others who have one of these fine firearms. I am looking to find out which bullets in the 400 to 550 gr range work in your rifles, I have only found a couple that will work well because of the short throat in my rifle. I have to say that of all the rifles I own, the 45/70 is my favorite. Thanks to all.

Dave Beeman

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have been having excellent results with the 450 gr. LBT LFNGC bullet and 53.5 gr. of H335 powder.  Groups run about 1.5" for 5 at 100, but oddly enough, I have to orient the bullets in the chamber the same way for best accuracy.  I have to position the mold seams vertically for every shot or accuracy suffers, opening up to 2 1/4" to 2 1/2".  Velocity is 1827.7 fps and recoil, as you can imagine in the 7.5 pound Ruger, is quite stiff.  I also seat so that the bullets are slightly engraving as the lever is brought to full lock up.  There should be some loads in Loadswap for the .45-70 also.  I cannot remember if I posted this load for the No. 1 or not, but will do so if I haven't already.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using everything from a 325gr GC to a 550gr bullet for black powder. My powders of choice are H322, 3031, and 4320. Hoping to be able to afford to have my 1886 in 33wcf rebarreled to 45/70, a good low pressure companion to my #1, also would like to get an 1874 sharps replica. Still hoping to get a black bear this spring with my #1, carry a Ruger SHawk 454 with heavy cast bullets for my backup(only if I completely miss).

Dave Beeman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts