Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone stepped up and produced a jacketed .430 bullet in the 360 to 400 grain weight for use in a lever gun yet? This is really getting annoying.

·
Registered
339 Posts
JMHO, but it would take up to much powder charge. Whats wrong with a Hard Cast Bullet?.......................Marko

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried a cast bullet yet. I have the old style with the micro groove and I just haven't got up the nerve yet to try and use a cast bullet. I would prefer to just use a jacketed bullet, but....no one seems to produce one that is made for 444 velocities. There are a few that handle it better than others, but they are all made for a .44mag. I cast bullets for my .44 (285gr NEI SWC's) but I have only used them in my .44. I know that they say it can be done, but I just don't want to spend an afternoon scraping lead out of my barrel if it doesn't work, and I just don't shoot it enough to really do the experimentation needed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Then what I would do is use the speer line of bullets the 270gr Gold Dot and the 300grJSP are bullets that work well at 444 velocities and they will hold up well on game IMHO the 270gr GD is the best Jacketed bullet for the 444 next would be the 300gr. As far as the Hard Cast you never know untill you try, some rifles shoot very good with just removing the Copper Fouling out of the barrel before using HC. don't sell the Micro-groove short they can and will shoot HC very well and when they do you opened up a whole new world of different projectiles to choose from my pick is the 290WLNGC from Beartooth they shoot in my 44Mag rifles and my 444's just fine.....................................................Marko

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Brasso,

Don't sweat the leading. Load up a few 240gr. JHPs at high velocity for the .444, and if your lead bullets foul excessively, just shoot the lead out. Quicker and more fun than using a patch & brush. Do clean it before starting, as advised.

If the barrel leads more than you would like, first fix is to try to size the bullets a bit bigger.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Brasso~

I have an 1988 .444 Marlin ss 22" micro-groove barrel

My Lee 310 mold produces bullets of 325 gn when cast with wheel weights lubed, gas checked, sitting on top a pile of H4895 or N133 they must be pushing 2000 f.p.s

Better still NO LEADING (lee sizer die) zeroed at 200 yards on the range with a 4 x scope it shoots 2.5"-3" groups.

Unless your hunting T-REX the Lee bullet will do the job.

You will find the guys here very helpful, before i logged on here i had never cast a bullet did not know were to start.
Now it seems so simple...................

Englander

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an older 444ss with the micro groove rifling that absolutely LOVES the .432 330gr LFNGCs...what a great round. I don't think you will have any problems with cast if you shoot .430-.432, but that's just my speculation. I was pleased as punch when I saw Hornady's light magnum 265gr FN offering. Bought a box right away, and shot a doe with it on Sunday. The 270gr Gold Dot SP should be another good one...I'll play with it later. The one bullet I need to get soon is the BTB 280gr...the load on LoadSwap says 2500+ fps...that's a powerhouse load right there!!!!! Good luck in your pursuit of cast bullets in your triple4..I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am surprised you people don't know this, Swift makes a 400gr A-Frame for the .444 and Hornady makes a 265gr Interlock if you like more speed. Does not get any better then those two!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts