Shooters Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've only recovered one bullet that I can remember and it was a fluke at that. I was hunting antler less deer one year and decided to try my original Sharps 50-70 carbine. I figured I wanted to give the game a sporting chance. I ended up shooting one that faced me straight on at about 15 yards in a stare-down. I could see she wasn't going to turn and at the instant she started to bolt I fired. The bullet was a lead cast 450 grainer that entered her chest and exited behind her last rib (thank goodness it missed the hind quarters). As I was cleaning the animal, my brother in law walked up to me and as we talked, he reached down and picked up my bullet lying beside us on the ground. There was a nearby broken pinion pine branch about 2 inches in diameter that was freshly broken that would have been directly behind the deer. Apparently the bullet passed completely through the deer and struck that branch causing the bullet to fall to the ground. With the exception of some minor damage to the nose, I could have reloaded the bullet which was cast with wheel weight lead.

·
Banned
260 Posts
This was first year ever recovered a round on deer. Previous years 30-06. This year 45-70, 350 grain XTP. Not happy that it did not go through. But was also first deer that went down, with non neck shot. Was at 45 degree angle, a shot I never made before. Did start to get up and made same shot again, and did not go through. About 60 yards, which is longest shot I ever took.

It sure expanded nice. Debating about trying to find some 405 remingtons.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
This was first year ever recovered a round on deer. Previous years 30-06. This year 45-70, 350 grain XTP. Not happy that it did not go through. But was also first deer that went down, with non neck shot. Was at 45 degree angle, a shot I never made before. Did start to get up and made same shot again, and did not go through. About 60 yards, which is longest shot I ever took.

It sure expanded nice. Debating about trying to find some 405 remingtons.
I'd also suggest trying the 325LE load as well. My latest experience with it in February where out of my .450 (a bit faster than the 45-70 load) it had a full pass through at about 120 yards on a big boar hog with a significant shield. The holes through ribs and lungs were impressive on both sides and they left a significant blood trail, something you don't always see on a big boar.

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
well it hunting season and once again I caught another bullet.

This time it was from my henry 45-70. Shooting 300gr Hornady JHP at over 1800fps this bullet retained 283grs of its weight. The deer was about 50yds away when shot.

The bullet entered the neck when thru the left shoulder, broke a few ribs, and was found in the opposite hindquarter in the thigh muscle. So, it basically went thru about 36" of hide, muscle, bone, and inerds before stopping.

Anyone else got any new ones to share?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Pulled up pics of an original 200 gr Barnes X and 250 gr Barnes X recovered from elk, from my 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. Both 100% weight retention.

200 gr X diagonally traversed the animal quartering front to rear to rest under the skin on the rump, 250 gr X went in behind the ribs, recovered in the off-side neck meat.

First pic shows unfired and recovered bullets, with the current Barnes 200 TTSX shown for comparison as to overall length.

Second pic is frontal view of expanded bullets, .75” diameter. Identical performance at very different impact velocities and opposite directions of travel through the elk they were recovered from.

I have been using the 200 TTSX for 6 or 7 years now, and consider it the most versatile bullet for my 35 Whelen AI. Opens perfectly and exits on broadside shots on mule deer, hasn’t failed to exit each of the elk it has harvested, and flies flat enough to sight 3” high at 100 yds and be dead-on at 300 yds with 2.25” groups at the range.

Edit: The full width of the fired and unfired picture did not show, the box on the left was to denote 200 gr X, the box on the right was to denote the 250 gr X.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
30-06, 165 gr Hornsby jacket.

Hornady 265 gr took a nice buck at about 90 yards.

Barnes 250 gr T-EZ 50 cal using 2 pellets of T7 took a nice buck at about 45/50 yards.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What creature, what bone did it hit (if any), what angle, one and done (DRT)?

Despite being just a jacket, the question remains a good one... at what point in the animals death did the bullet “fail”? It did the job fine it looks.

Congrats on a harvest and a recovery!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Here's an XTP 158 grain pistol bullet fired from a .357max at approx. 2400fps. It was recovered from a deer shot at around seventy-five yards. I've been reading for years that these bullets "blow up" when driven at high velocities. I've recovered dozens of them and I haven't found one that blew up yet. This is from the third deer I shot this year with these bullets. The first two were complete pass throughs where the exit hole was around an inch in diameter (guess they didn't blow up). Sharing stories with other shooters, I've been told that this is about as fast as they can be driven without breaking up. I've been told that the XTP FP will go another couple hundred feet per second and shoot just as well. I'm loading some up now to find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
My wife got her first deer a few weeks ago. I built her a 6.5 grendal last year and this was the first deer for it as well. The buck was about 20 yds when she shot him behind the right shoulder. She was shooting hornady black 123gr eld-m. I was amazed at what this bullet did. I expected it to explode like a bt but it didn't. It made a hole through 2 ribs on the right took out the lungs, took the top off the heart, took the top off the stomach, took out 2 more ribs, and the exit in the far side skin was big enough to put my thumb into. This was a heavy deer for our area at 172lbs. The buck ran about 75 yds.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
My wife got her first deer a few weeks ago. I built her a 6.5 grendal last year and this was the first deer for it as well. The buck was about 20 yds when she shot him behind the right shoulder. She was shooting hornady black 123gr eld-m. I was amazed at what this bullet did. I expected it to explode like a bt but it didn't. It made a hole through 2 ribs on the right took out the lungs, took the top off the heart, took the top off the stomach, took out 2 more ribs, and the exit in the far side skin was big enough to put my thumb into. This was a heavy deer for our area at 172lbs. The buck ran about 75 yds.
so where did you recover the bullet? :p

got a picture of the bullet?:D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Here's an XTP 158 grain pistol bullet fired from a .357max at approx. 2400fps. It was recovered from a deer shot at around seventy-five yards. I've been reading for years that these bullets "blow up" when driven at high velocities. I've recovered dozens of them and I haven't found one that blew up yet. This is from the third deer I shot this year with these bullets. The first two were complete pass throughs where the exit hole was around an inch in diameter (guess they didn't blow up). Sharing stories with other shooters, I've been told that this is about as fast as they can be driven without breaking up. I've been told that the XTP FP will go another couple hundred feet per second and shoot just as well. I'm loading some up now to find out.
I use the 250gr .452 XTP HP for my savage muzzleloader. They are "rated" up to 1600fps. i drive them over 2200fps with 45grs of IMR4227 and they have never failed to hold together or kill the deer very quickly.

There is at least one picture of them on this thread that I recovered from a doe after it went thru 36" of deer. there is another one I recovered from a buck after it smashed the shoulder knuckle at close range.

The XTP is an excellent hunting bullet

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Im an old bullet digger, up to elbows in bile and blood on every kill, have shoe box an recovered bullets all ove the place, most I can tell you the results...mostly all premium and super premium bullets but Hornadys, Sierras, Speer Barnes, I mostly have used Accubonds , Woodleighs, GS Customs and over the last couple of years, and Im pleased..

One thing that has caught my attention is just how good the Hornady Interlocks have always performed, as good as the super premiums as a matter of fact, so far..Same for the old Rem Corelokt round nose, but they are range limited I suppose..

Most of todays bullets are excellent, bullet failure is all but a thing of the past, they have perfected bullets for rifles..Some folks just wont let that subject die...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have recovered 2 bullets both from a 243 and front facing chest shots where the bullet travelled the length of the deer before stopping against the hip bone and the other bullet just under the hide on left rear quarter. The bullet that was stopped by the hip bone was an 85 gr. Barnes X and weighed 84 grains after recovery. The second bullet recovered was a 95 gr. Nosler Partition that weighed 79 gr. The deer shot with the Barnes X dropped instantly and the deer shot with the Partition made it about 80 yards before expiring. The Barnes bullet performed true to advertised as it opened into 4 razor sharp petals and retained its weight. Very impressed and is the only bullet I now load for big game hunting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll add to this if I can come "the season" but leaving this so it gets bumped close to the 2019 season and so I am subscribed for the next. Interesting stuff for people who wonder , "but why?"

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
So some bullets recovered, some not, from the tender animals we have

Zebra1.jpg Zebra of a client, almost Kentucky heart shot, .375 H&H at 60 metres. The bullet went over the stomach, nipped the tenderloins, cut the top lungs for about two feet and stuck against the breast bone (geez.. sounding like a gaffer there :eek: - the bullet stopped against a rib near the neck vertebrae) - more than 5 ft of travel. The zebra went about 500 yards. Like all Africa game they hate being lung shot and WILL punish you with tracking and little blood.

300 gr PMP .375 H&H.jpg PMP .375 H&H cartridge and recovered 300 gr ProAmm bullet used on the zebra above, retained 97% weight. Perfect performance.

Black Wildebeest 264 Metres.jpg Black wildebeest and my elder son, .308W. 264 metres (293 yards). Entry wound can be seen in the photo where the bullet broke the humerus bone on the low shoulder. At the shot the animal fell into the bullet, struggled a tight circle around and fell dead where it had stood.

Hornady Interbond 165gr.png The 150 gr Hornady Interbond used above. Broke the inside humerus, broke through a rib, cut the heart top chambers exactly as in the Oryx photo below, broke an opposite rib and stopped against the opposite humerus-scapula joint.

Entrance wound.png Oryx shot by a client, calibre size entry wound, .308W, 165 gr Federal Fusion, 206 yards and broke the humerus bone. The animal fell into the shot as normally happens, ambled around in a tight circle and fell down dead where it had stood.

First rib.jpg Like always happens, made a 4x calibre hole through a rib.

Heart top chambers sliced open.png Sliced open the heart top chambers.

Opposite rib.jpg Same size pass through on an opposite rib.

Exit wound 4x calibre.png Broke the opposite humerus bone and made a 4x calibre exit wound and was gone. There was less than 1 lb meat damage. I yet have to recover a Federal Fusion bullet fired from the .308W after this shot placement through the shoulders on any elk size game, and is the reason why this is the factory ammunition I advise clients to bring to Africa for non dangerous game.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
anyone have any bullet from this year yet?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nope! The 110 grain Barnes TTSX from my son's .270 Win went in at a moderate quartering angle on the sternum and came out halfway back at the top of the off-side ribs on his elk.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Nope

Hunted Idaho and Colorado and never chambered a round. Wife called it camping with the boys.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
LOL, in the earlier years when my wife would write our Christmas letter each year, she would report on my success or let everyone know I had a fantastic "armed hike" for a week.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've never recovered a .22H bullet from deer I've killed with it; always seemed to lose them while field dressing the deer. I no longer hunt deer with centerfire guns and have a few I did manage to recover.
I hunt exclusively with flintlocks and have used guns in these calibers, all patched round ball.

A few round balls I managed to recover from deer.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts