Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have tried 1 gr. Bullseye over 310rb out of 30-30, and found it amazingly accurate at 25 yd, no recoil at all, and hardly any report. I smeared a little lyman moly on the end as lube. Didn't chronograph, but would bet that it would be something in the energy range of a 22 LR for short range. Have read about up to 4 gr. in 06/308 as being great for tree rats and rabbits, etc. My question is, does any one have any data on pressure on these bullseye loads. Presume that with rimless cases you mark them for this use only due to probable shortening, which is why I am asking about pressure. Thanks in advance to all who respond to this thread.
Paul

·
Super Moderator
9,516 Posts
I use 1.5gr. of Red Dot in loads that are about the same as yours; I usually seat the ball so that the top is even with the end of the case neck and use the little "ledge" around the edge to hold lube).

Pressure is low enough that it's best to used fired/unsized cases to keep the chamber cleaner...pressure low enough that the brass cases doen't expand and seal the blow back of gas unless the case is fire formed to that chamber).

May get some shoulder migration backwards over time...the firing pin hit and primer may push that shoulder back a bit. Not all rifles show this problem, at least not quickly...the worst offenders are military mauser types with heavy strikers and springs (needed to be ****ed sure mil. spec. ammo goes off...esp. if you happen to be losing the war and your ammo isn't of the greatest quality). I prefer to used rimmed cases.

It is a good place to use old worn cases that you feel need retirement from full charged loads...for me, that would be after the 3rd trim.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Win 231 will work even better then Bulleye 1 to 3 grains depending on alloy of ball or bullet ! I just used vaseline over the ball after seating in the case neck ! Unique is also good ! The light load will set shoulders back , but to use these cases again just seat a cast bullet out so that it is pushed hard into the rifling on chambering and use heavier charge of the same powder to blow them out again ! JAGG

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Too, roll those round balls in Lee Liquid Alox, it works nicely to lube these fun loads :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pressure has to be light with a soft ball and no crimp to speak of. I can give you some chrony data from my 2.5gr of bullseye in 06 cart (use a spent 22cal LR as a dipper) FPS was all over from low of 786 to high of 1021fps mode was 950 fps. These were shot with a wipe of vasalene - messy but worked. will not use it again. These were loaded into unsized cases. Hope this helps. You are correct, it is an accurate load to 25 yards and great fun. JB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts