Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is specifically about Ruger M77, so I hope this is the right forum.

My wife, bless her heart, really tried to get me what I wanted for Christmas; a set of low rings for my Ruger. However, not knowing anything about guns, she got medium. I happened to have an extgra set of medium rings that came with the rifle, so I compared them to the Burris.

The Burris are at least 1/8" taller than the Rugers. If this is indeed how Burris compares to Ruger, and these haven't been mis-marked, if I returned these, the low ones would be about the same as the Ruger Mediums I already have.

Does anyone here actually have the Burris rings for Ruger, and are they taller than the OEM rings?

(I like the looks of the Burris; the mounting screws are recessed torx head, and don't have the big attachment krurled knob that the OEM has. Plus the Burris are half the cost of the Rugers.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I hate to point you towards ebay but that is a good place to look for cheap Ruger rings.If your Ruger rings are still new/unused try calling Ruger and see if you can exchange them for the low set. They will swap them for you if you want to go that route. Also , new Ruger rings are all torx style. You can also order just the torx screws from Ruger if you ever want to convert and old set of rings that have the slotted screws in them. As far as the specs for height try looking at the Burris website or call their customer service. They are very helpful. I don't have any Burris rings on any of my Ruger rifles but do have them on a lot of others and do think the Signature rings are top notch. The Ruger rings are built about as stout as you will find but occasionally need to be lapped to ensure a good alignment. With the Burris Signatures , they don't need that done. The inserts do that job for you plus you will never mar a scope tube with that design.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i bpought a pair of the burris rings for my ruger a few years back and was not pleased with how they fitted up with the ruger factory recess. the rings of the burris only had a little tang hanging down and did not align with the intrigal base like the factory rings with the half moon tang hanging down does. this was my experiance and i do not know if burris has redesigned their ruger rings to be a better match up.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent Burris Customer Service an email and am awaiting reply.

The Burris still have the little tang, not fully rounded like the OEM, so I think I'll just return them and get an 80% refund after restocking fee.

BTW, the torx screw I was referring to is the screw that attaches the rings to the receiver, not the screws that tighten the two halves of the rings. The new Rugers (at least the 2008s) still have the large knurled round knobs with the single slot to tighten.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I was very surprised by the quality of the Ruger rings that came with my #1. They're not just throwing in a set of rings with every rifle, now are they? Very nice. And I learned that Ruger will swap the rings for any ones you need, as long as the rings haven't been installed or otherwise marred.

When I put a set of rings on another rifle, I shopped for Burris. Somewhere (Midway, Optics Planet, SWFA, etc) there is a chart showing the height of Burris low, medium, and high rings. Anyway, I bought the Signature Zee rings in medium, and they happened to work out just fine...luckily.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I own several Ruger rifles with their integral rings and like the above poster, I think they are GREAT! The only rings I'd consider changing them for, if I did not like the easily removable base screw, would be Warnes. The Warnes I bought for my CZ 550 (also integral type) are of excellent quality. But, again, I've never had a set of Ruger rings loosen on any Ruger rifle, model 77 and model 1s.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I was very surprised by the quality of the Ruger rings that came with my #1. They're not just throwing in a set of rings with every rifle, now are they? Very nice. And I learned that Ruger will swap the rings for any ones you need, as long as the rings haven't been installed or otherwise marred.
I'll do you one better. I bought a ruger from Bass Pro and when I got it home I found out that it didn't have the factory rings that were supposed to be included. I called Ruger, and they not only stuck a set of rings in the mail to me that day, but she asked me what scope I was putting on it, and sent me the right rings for the scope (needed high rings to fit my 50mm objective). And as others have said, quality is top notch.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
The Burris rings will work but they are not Ruger rings. Ruger rings are worth every penny compared to any other ring you might find that is made to work with an M77 or M77 mkII or even a Number 1 for that matter.

I have used Burris Zee rings and Signature rings on my Rugers. They do work, just not as well as Ruger rings. Besides, Ruger will make it good. Just call them, let them know what you have and what you need. Ruger will take good care of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts