Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered these for my CVA Accura muzzleloader. Anybody have any experience with them? I shoot 110 grains loose Blackhorn 209, so I hope they can with stand the recoil.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I just put a set under a Nikkon 4-18x40 Buckmasters, on a Remington 700 VSF in 22-250. While it won;t recoil like your rifle, I'm sure the rings will handle it well and I'd have no hesitation putting them on my 30-06.

They're pretty cool. I ordered the incremental sizes insert set (Posi-Align) for an additional $13, I think, but they're still in the box. I put the scope on with the standard insert set that comes with the rings thinking that I might need to swap the inserts to raise or lower the scope a tad, but nope, they're just fine as-is.

The nice thing about the inserts in the Signature Zee rings is that they self-align and there is no lapping involved. I'll be using them again next time I need rings. I used Warne Maxima steel bases underneath.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used the Zee Rings on a Anschutz 64 R Sporter Target rifle w/ Weaver Bases, and a Burris Fullfield II w/ Target reticle and target turrets. Perfect to get that extra adjustment for getting out to 100+ yards without bottoming the scope out. Better than a 1 piece 20 MOA base.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand the adjustment inserts. I have always been able to mount a scope and get elevation and windage right without running out of room. Am I missing something here?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,298 Posts
The holes aren't always in line with the bore, and bases aren't always level either. You've had good luck (and admittedly so have I) but they are available for those that need them.

Some people like them because they don't booger up your scope tubes, I suspect.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't understand the adjustment inserts. I have always been able to mount a scope and get elevation and windage right without running out of room. Am I missing something here?
I have an Omega 50 cal. I and quite a number of others have had trouble getting on target with these Omegas , and some Encores too. I went to the Burris Sig Zee setup. I started out using the standard inserts that came with the rings ( no off-set ) . Got everything mounted up did some shooting, and ran out of adjustment way before I was even remotely close to my zero. This told me that either the original base or the gun was off . I then installed a .010 off-set on one end of the scope and .020 on the other end. I do not remember now which way I had to go as it was a couple years ago , but the point is that once I got the inserts in I set both crosshairs in the middle of their adjustment range and started shooting again. I was sighted in within 10 shots and had only moved the crosshairs a little way from center of their adjustment range.

see this
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7030&highlight=
and this
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3776&highlight=

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm sure you will be happy with the Burris rings and I don't think they will have any problem holding up to the recoil of that rifle. Truth be known, most of the rings on the market today are probably way over built in regard to strength and ability to handle recoil.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had no problems with the gun or base with running out of adjustment on my scope, when I put on these new Zee rings and a new scope can I expect to ave no problems as well?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
If I had no problems with the gun or base with running out of adjustment on my scope, when I put on these new Zee rings and a new scope can I expect to ave no problems as well?
UT, I mentioned that I bought the Posi-Align adjustment set just as a side note. After installing my Zee rings with the standard inserts that came with them, I would recommend to anyone (you too) NOT to get them until after the scope is installed and you think you need them. You probably won;t, so I would say forego the adjustment set.

You know how, when you install scope rings and set the alignment bars in them? Sometimes one ring will be a tad lower or higher than the other. If it's minor, it can be lapped out. If not, you can try new bases, shim the ones you have, or otherwise adjust it until they "align" with one another. That's one thing the adjustment set is supposed to correct. But mainly I think it's for longer-range rifles, where you want to zero your scope at very long distances. With the adjustment set, you can have the front with .020 inserts and .005 in the rear (as an example), and that lifts your scope so that you don;t have to use up all the adjustment in the scope itself.

With the Signature Zee rings and standard inserts that come with the rings, just put the scope in and go. Very nice. I've only installed about 4 scopes, but I found them suprisingly nice and high-quality.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i used them on my browning abolt this summer along with leupold windage adjustable bases. i opticaly centered my scope via the mirror trick then mounted it in the rings. i adjust for windage with the rear base adjustment then after shooting a couple shots i swapped out the inserts and when i was all said and done and sighted in at 100 yrds i had only used 10 clicks of adjustment on my scope. the closer to opticaly centered you can leave your scope the better image/resolution and light transmision that scope will give you. remember light does not like to bend if it don't have to.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Jim, how do you do the mirror trick? I did my last two scopes last time by laying the scope on a narrow box with two "V" notches cut in it. I targeted something about 65-75 yards away, then rotated the scope 180 degrees and noted how much off-target the reticle was. Then I kept adjusting the scope and rotating it until the reticle was only off by an inch or so no matter how I rotated it. Is this the same principal or end-goal? And....how does the mirror do that?

Seems I read something about it awhile back but have forgotten the particulars.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put the rings on my CVA tonight and they fit very snug. Honestly I will probably not sight in the CVA till next year.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just place the objective bell flat against a mirror with some decent light nearby/overhead. look into the occular and you will notice two sets of cross hairs, one of them being a reflection coming back from the mirror. adjust your turrents to align the two sets of cross hairs so you only see one. be carefull to keep your eye centered on the occular, when you're done you should be within a click or two of centered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts