Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing some really good deals on these carbon 15 AR's. I dont know much about them and why they are so cheap. Do standard AR parts fit on these? Any info you guys could share would be great.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I don't know about the bushmaster carbon but I built an AR about three years ago using one of the carbon fiber lower receivers and love it. It knocks about two pounds off the weight of the gun. They build airplanes out of carbon fiber so it must be strong. I have put about 5k of rounds thru my carbon ar without a hitch. All the standard parts fit the carbon receiver.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just curious as to why they are only $650 new? Most other AR's are a couple hundred more than that. They look like they have all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
978 Posts
> why they are so cheap.
> I'm just curious as to why they are only $650 new?

It might have something to do with Bushmaster closing the Maine plant and moving it to Connecticut. They might be selling them at cost to raise capital for the move and to clear out inventory.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The carbons don't have the best reputation and have been slow sellers. Whether or not there is anything to the complaints I can't say, but I suspect alot of the negativity is due to it being "different" rather than any real problems. Bushmaster makes very good AR's and has very good customer service, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Even if the lower were junk you could buy a stripped lower for $125.00 or so and still be ahead.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Less machining means less cost. The carbon fiber receiver is easy to mold and finish without a lot of machining. Lots of companies are using the carbon fiber technology in their handguns and rifles. Light weight and super strong. If you have ever seen the impact tests run on metal and carbon fiber units, the metal will bend and stay bent. The carbon fiber bends but returns to it original shape. Kind of like when polymer frame pistols appeared and everyone said they wouldn't hold up.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My Carbon 15 Type 21

Bushmaster came out with two different Carbon 15 rifles. The type 21 which I have and the type 97 which was a little more expensive.

I have had my Type 21 for some 10 years now. Bushmaster bought out the Professional Ordnance plant in AZ and began to manufacture the weapons under there name.

The BCG is exactly like any AR. So are most parts in the trigger group. Buffer and spring are the same also as much as I can tell. Mine has a SS bbl and a "pneumatic hose" type muzzle brake which works great. The butt stock comes off with a simple throw lever and a shorter LOP stock is/was offered(I have one).

I got mine for a close range,coyote calling,weapon. I put a small red dot sight on it and the total weight of the package is 4lbs 4ozs. It is super easy to control while swinging on running yotes.

I have about 200rds thru mine,shooting my handloads only. The 52gr SMK's with a medium charge of 748 works great in this little gun. I have had zero problems with my weapon and it is 2MOA accurate. ----- pruhdlr
EDIT to add ---> also takes AR mags

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm gonna have to get one. At those prices I cant afford not to have one.:D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
$650 new ??????????? where are you seeing that at ?????????? ---pruhdlr

·
Registered
261 Posts
I saw one for about $650 at my local Gander Mountain. I checked it out and didn't care for it. The upper is carbon also and the bolt ride seems pretty rough. I would worry about wear on the upper if your the kind to shoot alot but I don't know for sure. If you want a light rifle this would be it, I just can't get past the carbon upper but the carbon lower doesn't bother me though. Just my thoughts. Dave

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Never Hear'ed

As stated, mine does not have a ton of rounds thru it. And the rounds that have been fired thru it were my my med pressure loaded handloads.(52gr @ 2850fps)

I have never seen any reports of the longivity of this gun. Me....?.....,If I were planning to put 5,000+ rounds thru a AR it would not be ANY carbon(upper and/or lower)firearm.

Allow me to say also,If you ever find one(NIB) for $650....SNAP IT UP.

Good Shootin' --- pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Carbon fiber is far stronger than aluminum so I really wouldn't have any concerns with strength. The only concern I would have would be if your the type of person that dumps a few hundred rounds at a time without letting the gun cool, I could see that weakining the receiver over time. If Bushmaster puts their name on it I wouldn't have any worries.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Last one I tracked on GB a few weeks ago sold for $653 used "like new". So, the Gander Mtn price would be a pretty good deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts