Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used Bushmaster XM15A2 H-bar at a local shop for sale. They're asking $650.00. Is that a fair price? I'm not real sure what these are worth and was considering buying it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,432 Posts
Gun values change with your location and the gun's condition. Bushmaster is a quality brand name, if that's any help, but I don't know what the previous owner did or did not do with it. I've seen them for more, but it may have been during the "ban" panics.

(Later: I found a brand new one online for $857.)

See the first post on gun values, here.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Not a bad price, depends on whats with it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Go to GunsAmerica.com and compare prices. Is the barrel threaded or is this an old ban era rifle? What comes with it?
Is the rifle factory or has it had upgrades done to it? Break it down and examine the bolt carrier and bolt. Are they clean or are they filthy? If really dirty assume the rifle has had little maintenance. How does the rifle look? Like new or like crap warmed over? For example, you can buy a rifle, sans rear sight or carry handle or any accessories for $600 from CMMG. They are excellent mechanically but may have been scuffed around a bit. So, $650 may be a good price, an OK price, or a bad price depending on condition and what comes with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The rifle is naked. Non threaded barrel. It's dirty from setting. The shop has had it quite a while. By the looks of the bolt face it's seen a fair amount of ammo. It certainly looks used but not abused. I guess my biggest fear would be the barrel being shot out. I have no T.E. guage.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Only because I dabble in AR's a bit, i'd say buy it.

I'm on my 7th Bushmaster, every one of them has been a fine rifle;
Just wish I was smart enuff to realize that after I bought and sold a few to get "better" guns :p Just because it said Colt, it did not shoot anywhere the Bushy did....but that is a whole nuther story.
The components of the rifle are nearly worth that of the asking price, and used or new barrells can be had relatively cheap if you choose to swap it out. They are simple enough that you can do it.
Not touting one brand over another, but Bushmaster's barrels are pretty tough, I'd doubt that you shoot one out without tens of thousands of rounds. See if you can clean the boltface, it might not really be as bad as it seems. Look inside the lugs where the bolt locks up for wear. If they will allow you, ask to see the bolt carrier group disassembled.

AR15.com always had used stuff for sale, so the guys over there could hook you up with any add ons or factory stuff you need.

If you could get them down to $600 then you would have a great deal.
Where are you in NH???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I bought it. Just got done cleaning it. Very dirty. Looks pretty good though. Looking forward to shooting it now. Man, took it apart and boy did it bring back some memories. I'd post a pic but, it looks just like every other ar15 out there. Well more like a standard issue m16. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
I can't add much more than what's been already said. Out here, you be hard pressed to find a quality AR rifle in decent shape much under $800. Sounds like you did good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts