Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the Bushnell Banner scopes hold up? Was looking at one that is 6-24x40 to be specific. Will the clarity at high power be there, or is it a waste of time. Not enough internet reviews found for me but of those found they rate it pretty good. This will be for a .222.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
EW,

I had a Bushnell Banner in 3X-9X on my .270 for about 5 or 6 years. After the first 2-3 years, and maybe 500 rounds, it started to throw two distinct groups, alternating back and forth, between shots. I sent it back to Bushnell and they fixed it. Three or four years later, I took it hunting in Wisconsin and it fogged up badly in the cold weather! It has since been replaced with a Redfield but I would really like to try one of the Elite 3200 scopes on it.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I've got a boat load of Banners, 23, on my lever rifles but not the specific model you ask about. Twenty-two are the 1.5-4.5X32 rifle-scopes and one "Japan" straight 4X. I have had nothing but outstanding performance from the Banners. About a decade ago or better, Bushnell poured a bunch of money into manufacturing technology (China) and their products reflect it. I've had two warranty claims, my own fault, and I've had new scopes sitting on my rifle in five business days both times. You send them the product with a description of the problem plus $10. That's it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The info about warranty was indeed helpful. I think I'll go ahead with the plans to buy one of these soon and get back to you.

Broom_jm, I own an elite 3200 and for the money its gonna be hard to beat. It has never missed a beat on my .270. Clear and precise. Hence the Banner question, since I have had such a good experience with an Elite 3200.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The info about warranty was indeed helpful. I think I'll go ahead with the plans to buy one of these soon and get back to you.

Broom_jm, I own an elite 3200 and for the money its gonna be hard to beat. It has never missed a beat on my .270. Clear and precise. Hence the Banner question, since I have had such a good experience with an Elite 3200.

EW,

Funny you should ask! This weekend I took my son's 308 to the range to put a new scope oon it - A Bushell Banner w/ a mil-dot recticle.

My past experience with the Banner line of scope was: I'm a member of a rimfire rifle team and about 1/2 of the participants use these Banner scopes with great success! My son, also a member, bought this Banner thinking It would do well on a CF silhouette rifle. I had quite a few problems getting it sighted-in and the groups looked like something JM mentioned - The POI flipped back and forth with each sucessive recoil.

Now...I not entirely convinced yet its the scope. Found a problem with the rings and the front base, a bad box of shells and the rifle was quite dirty. So I'm going back this next weekend to try again with these other 3 possible problems sovled.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now...I not entirely convinced yet its the scope. Found a problem with the rings and the front base, a bad box of shells and the rifle was quite dirty. So I'm going back this next weekend to try again with these other 3 possible problems sovled.
Please post back with the results, or if there was a scope problem let me know what Bushnell did to make it right. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
EW,

Funny you should ask! This weekend I took my son's 308 to the range to put a new scope oon it - A Bushell Banner w/ a mil-dot recticle.

My past experience with the Banner line of scope was: I'm a member of a rimfire rifle team and about 1/2 of the participants use these Banner scopes with great success! My son, also a member, bought this Banner thinking It would do well on a CF silhouette rifle. I had quite a few problems getting it sighted-in and the groups looked like something JM mentioned - The POI flipped back and forth with each sucessive recoil.

Ray,

I spent a BUNCH of time at the reloading bench and at the range, trying to figure out why my groups were jumping back n' forth between two POI's. It wasn't until an old-timer at the range took pity on me and asked what I was so frustrated about that I learned it was the scope. When I told him what was driving me nuts, he brought his spotting scope over, took a look at my target, and sort of shook his head. Just when I thought he wasn't going to say anything at all, he looked at me and muttered, "Son...you get that scope fixed and you might just be surprised at how good that gun's shootin'." He rarely said so many words at one time in the years I knew him, but I learned to pay attention to every one of them.

His name was Ed and he was the first person I ever knew who really understood what it took to build and shoot accurate loads. His targets were 1 cent stamps, stuck 12 to a page on 8.5" x 11" paper. It was a very rare thing for one of his groups to even touch the EDGE of one of those stamps! I had no idea what a 6mm PPC was, but he sure did! His lessons about proper bench-rest shooting form saw me go from 1.25" groups that made me very happy, down to my personal best of .585", with a Model 70 Ranger in .270 Winchester. And that was when I still convinced it wasn't a group unless it was 5 shots.

I wish my eyes were still up to that kind of shooting. :(

If I were you, I wouldn't burn up a whole lot more ammo with that scope...shoot 10 rounds, no more than 1 per minute without changing your scope settings or point-of-aim. If you get that split group again (mine went from 10 o-clock to 4 o-clock, about 2" apart) don't waste any more time, just send it to Bushnell and they'll fix it or replace it, no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
broom jim did you end up with two distinct groups? and was it a bad ercetor assembly or just a bad retaining spring?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Jim,

Yes, I would get two very nice, tight, distinct groups. If I had claimed I adjusted my scope and they were 2 groups fired separately, you'd have thought I had a good shooting rifle. To be honest, I don't know what the physical problem was, inside the scope. I sent it to Bushnell and they just fixed it and shipped it back. The POI problem was solved, but like I said earlier, a few years later, it started fogging up really bad.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Please post back with the results, or if there was a scope problem let me know what Bushnell did to make it right. Thanks for the help.

EW,

I called Bushnell CS yesterday - CSR said to send it in for full replacement and sent me a confirming e-mail. Shipped it off to them today.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I had a problem with a pair of Bushnell 8x40 binoculars. I called them, got an RMA number, shipped them to the Bushnell plant and rec'd a new set in less than a week, no questions asked. In all fairness, there was a substantial amount of "stuff" (looked like spray-on adhesive?) coating the INSIDE of one of the internal lenses, so not much question about whether it was of their doing, or covered by warranty. I'll never buy another pair of binoculars without FIRST turning them around and looking through the objective lens of each barrel, which is what it took to see the problem with the ones I returned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How do the Bushnell Banner scopes hold up? Was looking at one that is 6-24x40 to be specific. Will the clarity at high power be there, or is it a waste of time. Not enough internet reviews found for me but of those found they rate it pretty good. This will be for a .222.
Its not much more for a Bushnell Trophy 6 to 18 or if 3200 5x15. I had a 3to9 trophy on my 22250 and shot rabbits foxes pigs at ranges to 300 yards .Still have it on marlin 22

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. I really like the 3200 line of scopes. $339 from optics planet for the elite, but the one I am curious about is only 106 online. I know in scopes you get what you pay for though so I may opt for the elite 3200.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,915 Posts
Check out www.natchezss.com, they are having a sale on Bushnell scopes at the moment. Some pretty good buys if you interested in them.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Here is an interesting Bushnell "warranty" story...

A couple of years ago I'm out on my annual desert mule deer hunt on the north side of Big Bend NP. Six of us are heading up into some high country looking for elk, you can actually drive up this drainage placing you in pinion pine country above 7,000 feet.

As we get up in the neck, we stop to look at a snare that has been set for a lion and we notice that up ahead of us are some binoculars laying in the gravel.

I use Bushnell for all my optics including binoculars and spotting scopes.

This neck sees heavy drug and illegal alien trafficking and the trapper had told us he jumped a couple of "mules" up in this pass a couple of days ago that he pursued. We figured the trapper ran over the binoculars.

By no means are these top of the line binos but hey, the guide that picked them up liked the optics. The exterior of the binos were very beat up as a heavy pickup really grinds it's way up this neck. He called Bushnell told them the story, they said they would like to have them and would send him a new pair but he decided he liked them and the story too. He is still guiding hunters with them today.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great warranty story Michael. kdub, Thanks for the link. It seems the Legend is a step up from the Banner (from what I can tell) and that 5-15 with the mil dot is priced right. This should be ample magnification for the intended rifle. I intend order it and will let you know how it works out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts