Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received 4 boxes of hunting ammo for my BB in .45C and my Trapper in .44mag. Finding anything at a decent price is tough today. I ordered some warm 45-70 from Grizzly Cartridge a short while ago @ $39/box and their site is now listing the same stuff @ $59/box.

I leave my email addy when I can for back in stock notices and that's how I got these four boxes. Luckily this place is fairly inexpensive for shipping as well (flat fee). I believe I'm set for a while with a pretty decent amount/selection for these two along with my .356, .358, .375, .444, 45-70 and .450.

I'm figuring about 1700 FPS out of either load in my Carbines and that'll work just fine for my needs. Hope they shoot well!

thumbnail-3.jpeg

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
I keep thinking prices will gradually come down again, but then, it may be wistful thinking!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Nice to have stock on hand for the what if. I'm seeing some more ammo coming around but prices are still way above what they were a couple of yrs ago. Waiting for components to increase availability and those prices to come down..... This might be a long wait.

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed a place where I'd placed an order for 30-30 in March, but don't recall having received it still. I did receive a prompt reply which said they are still awaiting the components, but will honor my order as soon as they are able. 🙄

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I just received 4 boxes of hunting ammo for my BB in .45C and my Trapper in .44mag. Finding anything at a decent price is tough today. I ordered some warm 45-70 from Grizzly Cartridge a short while ago @ $39/box and their site is now listing the same stuff @ $59/box.

I leave my email addy when I can for back in stock notices and that's how I got these four boxes. Luckily this place is fairly inexpensive for shipping as well (flat fee). I believe I'm set for a while with a pretty decent amount/selection for these two along with my .356, .358, .375, .444, 45-70 and .450.

I'm figuring about 1700 FPS out of either load in my Carbines and that'll work just fine for my needs. Hope they shoot well!

View attachment 102110
I have read on other forums that this ammo shortage is coming to an end. However, it's not happening in many areas of the country, especially where I live. If anything it's worse at least in my neck-of-the-woods, our local Walmart currently has: several boxes of 28 gauge shells and nothing else since last Christmas. What I am wondering is when and if this shortage ends, will we see several old cartridges gone, with only the more popular one still available and at what price?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,269 Posts
I'm seeing more stuff on the shelves here, but it's weirdly random. One store, I've never seen so much .300 Savage in my life! Used to be, might run across a box or two at a large gun show.... dunno.

Some of the few things that seemed to be the most available were the new ".350 Legend" cartridge (maybe that will be what makes it legendary!) and the 450 Bushmaster. Evidently not too many people use either, where I live. .22 LR is on the shelves at a couple of local stores for $10 / 50 rounds, limit either 2 or 4 boxes, I forget. Shotshells are hit or miss, with a lot of turkey hunting loads (now that turkey season is over of course). I've seen .270, but it's pricey. And a little .30-06, and some 6.5 Creed. Just random as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ammo and reloading supplies are getting more common in my area, again depending on the store. LGS in Marietta has a wide variety of ammo, but sparse with reloading components. Went to FFF in Canton and Ashland, they had plenty of ammo and a very good supply reloading components. Prices were up, but no where near gouging levels. No IMR 4350 though.

Walmart does not deserve to get any ammo or reloading components as far as I am concerned, but unfortunately is the cheapest place to buy it when they have it.

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sure does vary!! When I bought my M94 in .44mag a few months back I looked for ammo before it even arrived. I ended up getting 200 rounds of 240 gr JFN at what would be great prices today. Very shortly thereafter, that type ammo dried up quickly.

I happened into 4 boxes of 350gr .450 at a great price as well, and was able to add the warmish 300gr 45-70 (2400 FPS) to augment the decent stash of LE I have.

As far as the more pedestrian stuff, .243, .270, .308, 30/06 and .35W, I was gifted a large stash of them after a dear friend passed, so I'm pretty set there as well.

These days you just need to grab it when you see it!

Reactions: JWSmith1959
1 - 8 of 8 Posts