Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone,
This will be my first time purchasing a handgun for myself. My first was handed down to me from my father when I was 15, I'm now 30.
I have narrowed it down to a Glock 17.
My dad referred me to his favorite store since he is an AK fanatic. They are selling the Glock I'm looking for with 2, 17 round mags for about $462.
Is that a good price? and is it worth it to spend that amount for a Glock?
Thanks for any suggestions and feedback, I'm hoping to make a decision before July.:eek:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I took the link out of your post as we don't allow commercial advertising without the owner's permission and frankly it is not really relevant to the answer in the way you might expect.

We do allow people to pass along links and sites that may contain useful information and answers to questions already asked, but please understand that quite common for people to try and put back-door advertising on the site in the guise of a new question. While you probably weren't trying to do that, it's been done many times and we have to be consistent.

Anyway..... that does sound like a pretty decent price for a new Glock, from what I have seen. However - ordering a gun off of a web site is not necessarily going to save you any money. If that is a store in your area with a physical presence, then quite possibly, yes. But if they have to transfer to a local dealer, then be aware that not only is shipping going to add to that, but also the local dealer will most likely charge a transfer fee. So, find out what that fee might amount to first.

Also there is the issue, does that web site really have the guns in stock? Last few times I've been through the local gun store they were still having trouble getting inventory on a consistent basis. Glocks, and lots of other stuff too. So, this might be a great price, but it's a moot point if they don't have it. Plus it would be a good idea to check ammo availability, as parts of the country seem to still be reporting low levels of inventory since the great election scare, etc.

Last, if you haven't already shot a Glock 17 then you may wish to try and borrow or rent one to ensure that it is going to fit your hand well, etc. There is nothing so personal as how a gun fits your own hand, whether the trigger suits you, etc. Just some general advice.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy you time on the forum.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

yes, that is a pretty good price.

The G17 is a fine gun, easy to shoot, and durable.
I'm on my third Glock...a G19, G23 and a G30.
Don't get sucked into the hype about Glocks being unsafe...the gun is as safe as a double action revolver, and only as safe as the brain behind the trigger.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I presently have three Glocks and have owned about ten since they were introduced. The price you were given is very fair. The Glock is one of the easiest handguns to learn to shoot an maintain that I have owned. You will find some folks love em and some folks hate em. I am partial to the model 19 and 26 which have smaller frames than the model 17 since I have small hands. The best of luck in finding the perfect handgun.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yes that is a good price. The stores here sell them within a few bucks of that. Mike's advice is good. If you have to deal with shipping and transfers it will run into more dollars than paying a little more locally plus sales tax. Look at the final cost.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Daddysgungirl.........Yes, that is a very good price! Welcome to the forum also. My wife had the 17 model Glock and now carries for her CCW the model 27. She also target shoots her
9mm Luger with 3.5 lb trigger and 6 inch barrel. Good Luck with your Glock.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
My I suggest that you also consider the G17 Gen 4 with the removable backstraps or the smaller G19. Make sure it feels comfortable in your hands. I've got a G19 on the way when I get home next month from my son.

CD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts