Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a gun for a few months now. I found one online, but have never
purchased one from online.

Does anyone have any opinions on this site ?
Gunzonedeals.com

Also what is the process? Do I have to set up with a local FFL dealer,
or do I find a local dealer to order it for me?

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I've bought many, likely well over 50 rifles online. However, I've never purchased from that business. It appears to be something like Bud's, a huge online gun store.

Be careful to check that they actually have, in stock, what you're trying to purchase. Unlike other online stores I buy from, a search for something will still bring you there, even if they have zero in stock.

I normally purchase through either GunsAmerica or GunsInternational which are sites where gun shops and private people list guns for sale.

The normal chain of events is to contact the seller and express interest, either by email or phone. If the gun is still available, you figure a way to make payment and you find a local gun shop that will accept the rifle for you, normally charging a fee to accept it and complete the necessary paperwork, such as a 4473.

The safest manner of payment would be via credit card or postal money order for buying from a business and by postal money order when buying from an individual. Sales tax laws vary depending on who you buy from and where you and the seller are located.

So, keep in mind, due to the shipping charges, the charges your local FFL charge and possible sales taxes, the actual cost of the firearm will likely be a good bit more than list price.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Go to gunbroker, scroll to the bottom of the first page and look at the column marked "Buyers" in that column you'll see "find a FFL" , put in your zip code and look at what each charges for a transfer. I pay 35.00 for rifles and 40.00 for handguns where I live. After you pay for the gun you simply print off the receipt and give it to your FFL dealer or send it to him via email, when the gun comes in you go fill out the paperwork and wait for approval. I don't know how it is where you live but there must be a half dozen FFL guys within 10 minutes of my house.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Great information above. Just be careful when dealing with an unknown outfit found strictly from a google search. Many results will elicit what you are looking for at crazy low prices and they are scams. If you cannot find someone that you can verify that bought from and was satisfied with said company I would be very leery. A lot of crooks on the web.
That said, these guys seem legit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even on Gunbroker, pay attention to what you are looking at. Definitely Buyer Beware! If it looks like too good a deal, it might be. Do your due diligence and spend some time looking around at other gun sale sights. If you find the same ad, same pics, with different sellers or same seller different states, usually priced below market, you are probably looking at a scammer. Report them to the site if you find them-help us all.
Couple things can help avoid getting taken; ask for fresh pics from a different angle than what's listed, or a pic with the peashooter and something with the days date shown. Ask to have a phone conversation. Honest sellers will be happy to work with an honest buyer. There are some scammers on the buying side as well, so don't take offense if the seller has some questions as well.
While I have not used one, yet, there are some escrow services that are designed for online firearm transactions. There is a cost.
None of this should dissuade you from buying a gun online. I have picked up more than a few online. But pay attention.
Good luck with your shopping!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have bought and sold a few off Gunbroker. I like Reeds, Sportsman's Outdoors, and Bud's Gun Shop too. They all advertise/sell on GB and process and ship orders very quickly.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
Kevinbear is on point. Like eBay, the seller's reputation is the best indicator. The warning signs mentioned by Woodcarver_FF are good. There have been several bogus sites selling primers and other reloading components at the old, pre-shortage prices that are complete scams and never ship anything, and their tells include that they only accept payment via Zelle or some other online payment service and won't accept credit cards. Many folks don't realize that in order to accept credit cards, a person has to have a good credit history as the bank is trusting them to discern real from false charges and will charge them for any bad charges they accept. Also, their locations turn out to be abandoned buildings and the like if you look them up on Google maps. So just watch out for anything out of the ordinary.

Reactions: kdub

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I forgot to mention what uncle nick just said, look up the address of the business on the internet, go streetside mapquest and call them, usually they have one person in charge of internet sales. Personally I've never encountered a fake business on gunbroker, as soon as I get the internet person on the phone I either bid or buy now and we have a conversation about the sale and shipping. I bought some powder from a place in Nevada a couple of weeks ago, only 100.00 but I think they ship stuff to you faster if they talk to you over the phone, I had the powder in 4 days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I followed the advice given and made my fist online purchase today. I did have a little trouble setting up the gunbroker account, with the scanning of my DL.

Found the “find a FFL” link, took the list to a LGS friend that does not do online sales. He picked out a local guy he knew, from the list.

The local FFL guy seems good and walked me thru each step.

I have been looking for a 1911 type handgun in 9mm. Thinking about a desert Eagle 1911U (under cover) but have not decided yet.

So I purchased a CZ 457 AT-ONE 22LR 16.5 barrel. Just to see how this process works.
Purchased from a dealer in Indiana, I am in Michigan, so I hope does not take to long for
it to get to me. The Indiana dealer does have a good sales count.

Thank you all again for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts