Shooters Forum banner

Do you prefer buying rifles new or used?

• I like my rifles brand new

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I like buying used rifles

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I buy both used and new rifles

Votes: 33 67.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i'd post a poll to see what your preferences were in deciding to buy a firearm. I was originally going to buy new (and still may) but I know there are deals to be had out there if I were to buy used. I guess the thing that makes me apprehensive about buying used is that i'm afraid i'll get a lemon when buying my first rifle. I know there are things to look for, thanks to the info from the forum, but I'm afraid there might be something not readily apparent to my untrained eyes.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
All 4 of my Ruger magnums were used. All 4 shoot great. I've bough two new ones before, both were Savage. They shot good too. I guess I have no preference, but I did pay as much for one of my Rugers as I would have a new Savage.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am a fan of older classic rifles, especially Winchesters. It's kind of tough to buy a "New" pre-64 model 70, so I definitely like used firearms, but I buy my son a lot of new guns as well. Heres to all things that go BOOM...new or used !!! HD1

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I've only ever owned three new rifles. I haven't owned that many in the past, though.

Remington 742 .30-06, used
Remington 7600 .30-06, new
Browning A-Bolt Hunter .30-06, used
Remington M700 .270Win, used
Winchester M70 .270Win, used
T/C Encore Pro Hunter, new (several barrels for it, though... .50cal muzzleloader, .260 Rem, .338 WinMag, all new)
Remington M700 Youth .243, new
.50cal muzzleloader, used
.45cal muzzleloader, used

·
Registered
302 Posts
If there is a particular gun in a particular caliber that I am looking for and cant find one used in good condition then Ill buy new. But if youre just out to find a new rifle to hunt with and happen to run across a good deal on a used one then Ill jump on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
About 1/3 of my rifles are new, the rest were used when I acquired them.

Seems to me that whether they are new or used I often have the same challenge to get them to shoot MOA. IOW, just because something is new does not mean it shoots more accurately.

Barstool

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
About 80% of my guns were purchased new... I'm of no particular affiliation, but sometimes used guns are selling for as much as a new gun, I'll take the new for a few bucks more. I've bought dealer samples that were as new, for 60% blue book value too... Some guns, like M1 Garands and Ruger M77s are unavailable new, and that leaves only one option.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About 80% of my guns were purchased new... I'm of no particular affiliation, but sometimes used guns are selling for as much as a new gun, I'll take the new for a few bucks more.
yeah, i've noticed this. I was at the gun pawnshop lastnite and I thought their used rifle prices were a little steep, especially considering how a lot of the rifles sitting on their shelf looked beat to ****.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Something else... I've gotten some of my best used gun deals from guys who got married and then had to give up hunting for one reason or another. For example, in my list above, I got that Browning A-Bolt (with cheapish scope) and that very, very nice shooting .50cal muzzleloader, along with various other stuff like slings and the stuff that comes with a muzzleloader, for a total of $300. Sometimes you can find some really good deals that way, if you know where to look ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
yeah, i've noticed this. I was at the gun pawnshop lastnite and I thought their used rifle prices were a little steep, especially considering how a lot of the rifles sitting on their shelf looked beat to ****.

Yeah most pawn shops are priced high on used rifles. Some will wheel and deal with you, some won't.

I agree with Shane, most of the used stuff I have purchased lately, have been from people that need money for marriage, divorce, to pay the house payment, or are just looking to give it up.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've bought several new firearms, but all the ones that I have kept are ones that I have bought used. There's something about an old classic that is just different than the new rifles that are being put out in general.

There are a few new rifles that I am tempted to buy, but I can build one myself that is more accurate for around the same price, so it's hard for me to justify buying a new potentially less accurate rifle.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Over the years I've bought just a very few new firearms,mostly .22 rimfires in both pistols and rifles.

Usually I hear about some private person wanting to sell, occaisionally find a gun store or pawn shop deal. I've noticed maybe a month after hunting season ends and before income tax refunds start arriving, there is good selection and prices in the used racks.

I don't consider a used rifle any more of a gamble than buying new. The big boomers usually haven't had many rounds run through them either because of cost per round or intimadation per round.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
December is used gun buying time! Trouble is that I'm usually on seasonal reduced hours that time too!

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I got a nice Belgian built Browning A-5 out of a Pawn Shop for $30.00 one time. One of the airmen I had working for me receivd orders to go overseas, and had it in the Pawn Shop and didn't have the money to retreive it. He gave me the ticket and said he would get me the money and pick it up when he returned. That was 35 years ago, and I still haven't heard from him, and I still have it. [Sweet shooter, and still looks new.]

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I voted new and used.

To me, it's not whether it's new, it's a matter of what I am looking for, and the bargain/deal I can swing.
Not to say I am going on the cheap on purchases, but shopping the web/forums, local haunts and online dealers usually finds me what I am seeking, at a fair or reasonable price. When you are looking online, you have to factor shipping, tranfer fees, and NICS too, vs. the tax you'd pay on each gun if your state charges.
as of late I have found a nice little gun shop here in NH, with fair prices, and BIG movement. the dealer prices so the guns don't sit, and he still gets his cut. He's not making a killing, but also getting $$$$ on every sale. I guess for him, little bits add up.

As we all know, a deals a deal, that's why we all shop around.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
We have no sales tax here, so the transfer fee and shipping usually make online purchases a lot more expensive. I tend to stick to things I just can't get locally.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
No sales tax in NH either, but NJ taxed on items "in-store"... not on any firearms bought online or transferred into NJ.
The dealer i used to frequent in NJ only used to charge me minimal transfer fees, and NICS, which made many purchases online worth it.
His prices in his 'shop' were no great bargains, but fair for the condition the firearms were in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts