Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I see a gun ad etc with a Gun marked C&R eligible I get tempted to look into getting a C&R license. What I need to know is, is it worth it? How much hassle is it to get one and to maintain the license? When does it become worth it, 3...4..6...12guns per year? I collect mosty the old timers and it goes in spurts depending on disposable income and what I stumble onto. (one of Mike's laws is; The shorter you are on cash the more likey you are to find great buys! Why is that?):D

·
Inactive account
1,239 Posts
Mike,
On the first purchase alone you will save more than you would pay for the C & R license. Around here transfer fees run around $45 per. The license I believe cost me $35. They deliver right to my front door. No 4473 to fill out. I think it is worth it but I bought when surplus rifles and pistols were cheap, before this administration came to power. Haven't bought one since, I don't think. Oh but remember that I have since sold all my weapons for those out there listening in.
Oh and back then you submitted the form and the money order and waited. No problem, no hassle but that was a different time when freedom prevailed, don't know how it is now.
Go for it,
Greg

·
Banned
18 Posts
I thought a C&R was for the Collecting and Preservation of firarms by the buyer, by buying and trading to inhance his personal collection, not for reselling as a business.

I for one do not like that no 4473 is filled out for the transaction, it's a means of firarms reaching the street with no paper trail......all I need is a crack head or dealer with a M1 Carbine cutdown like an Enforcer.

Don't get me wrong...I don't want more gun laws.....lets get the prosicuters d there part and actually put he BAD guys behide bars for the crimes instead of letting them go with slap on the hand....case in point Lil' Wayne started his 1 year plea sentence for having an unregistered hand gun in his bus.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,237 Posts
I have a C&R license application laying on my desk. Believe me, you are fully vetted as a law abiding citizen before you will be issued a license. You still have to keep a record book of the firearms you buy through the C&R license. This license does not allow you to purchase the weapons for resale as a regular FFL does. Also, the local Sheriff must be notified of your application so if he has a problem with it he can speak up. I am probably going to apply for mine. It is worth the $35 if you like antique weapons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
it's a means of firearms reaching the street with no paper trail......
Wrong! There is as much of a paper trail as is provided by a 4473. The firearm must be entered into the FFL03's "book" and contains the firearm serial, etc. It also includes who the firearm came from and their identification information. Same thing with anything being sold, name address, etc. It's up to the license holder to assure they are following the law in who they are selling to if disposing of part of their collection.
In fact, there is nothing to say that you can't require a purchaser to fill out a 4473 for your own records. It's just not required.

You are correct in that the license is for collection and preservation of C&R firearms and not for "business" of buying and selling for profit, however there will be a certain amount of "churning" in any collection.

Also not mentioned... Another benefit of C&R license is that many businesses give discounts to license holders. Midway, Brownell, Numrich are a few that come to mind.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,161 Posts
You will end up spending a God-awful amount of money on rusty old junk soaked in cosmoline. Have fun!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys but I've got more questions!:confused:
#1 Where do you get an application for a C&R license?
#2 How do you know which guns are eligible to be transfered with it?

Thanks a head of time!:)
Mike

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
They have a list of every gun that is applicable, its updated yearly. A general guideline is that guns 50 years or older are C&R eligible. So, this year, my 1959 SBH is eligible, and my 1914 Mauser has been eligible since '78, it was made in '28.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Thats the website to order the forms, they are free and they send them in about a week.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Also not mentioned... Another benefit of C&R license is that many businesses give discounts to license holders. Midway, Brownell, Numrich are a few that come to mind.

This is true ...but most have a $$$$ ammount per year you must buy or the discount is off, a friend who has a C&R and is a CO does well with all his ammo and scope sales, it's nice to have a friend that gets discounts from Jerry's so I can get Leupolds at $15 over cost + tax......

You will end up spending a God-awful amount of money on rusty old junk soaked in cosmoline. Have fun!!!!!!!

No worse than what you get from the DCM anymore in the way of a Garand M1!

·
Inactive account
1,239 Posts
Curios and Relics.
Greg

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have had my C&R for over 10 years and save more than the license cost almost every week, and I have yet to buy a firearm actually using my C&R license. Just the dealer discount savings from Brownells, Midway, Graf & Son, Wolff Gun Springs, Yankee Hill Manufacturing, Daniel Defense... my God the list is almost endless. Just buying gun parts, scopes, ammo... will pay for that C&R in a week or two. Bound book pages are free for downloading:

and there are not a lot of complicated forms, rules, or other BS you need to worry about.
The most important things:
Collecting only. Do not start buying ten and selling 9 every month. You will soon be considered an illegal dealer.
Do not buy them for friends or family. A C&R is not a SPRINT contract.
All C&R firearms bought after you get your license go into your BB, even if you don't use your license to buy them.
When you get rid of a C&R, log it out. If you get rid of a C&R you had before your license, log in into your book as from you and then out to whoever you sold it to.
You do not need to log in C&R guns you had before the license unless you sell them or give them away while you have your license.
Only C&R guns are logged into your BB.
You do not ever have to let ATFE agents into your home. You always have the option of requesting the exam to take place at the nearest field office. If they insist on coming into your home, make them show you the warrant.
If you do allow them in your home, they can ONLY examine your C&R firearms, unless of course they have that warrant.

Go to the ATFE web site and then to the distribution center. Download the C&R 03 FFL license in duplicate, and the Certificate of Compliance card and two finger print cards.
And the forms will be sent to you free of charge. Follow the directions and that is it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.