Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Forty Four said:
Anyone have a nose diameter for Lee C309-200-R in say, a #2-like alloy?

Hi there. Was hoping there'd be more replies by now, just for comparison's sake. Ran out into the garage tonite and mic'd 0.30" on the nose, 0.309" on the bands - but these were linotype. Ymmv, but I've gotten some very nice groups with this bullet.
cukrus

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cukrus,

Yeah, I was hoping for many more replies as well... what took you so long? :)

Anyway, that's good and unexpected news because someone had given me some C309150s that were too fat in WW metal (about .3015" to .302" on the nose) to enter the muzzle of my M94. How long have you had your C309200 mould?

I was thinking about trying C309200 in my 30-30 and if it works, request a quote from Lee on a 6-cavity version with a .180" meplat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Forty Four said:
cukrus,

Yeah, I was hoping for many more replies as well... what took you so long? :)

Anyway, that's good and unexpected news because someone had given me some C309150s that were too fat in WW metal (about .3015" to .302" on the nose) to enter the muzzle of my M94. How long have you had your C309200 mould?

I was thinking about trying C309200 in my 30-30 and if it works, request a quote from Lee on a 6-cavity version with a .180" meplat.

I work out of town, have more access to computers than micrometers. I've only had this mold about a year but I'd been thinking a flat point would be useful.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Maybe I can help on this, but first a dumb question. Where do you measure the diameter, right in front of the drive bands? I just cast a ton of these out of WW and could mike a few easily. Fred

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred,

In front of the top (leading) driving band.

Let me know how much they weigh in WW metal and approximately when you bought your mould.

Thanks,

·
Registered
104 Posts
Took some time for the forum to come back up 44. Hope this stuff isn't too late. My C309-200-R cast in WW weighed between 198.9 and 199.8 grains without the gas check. They had a nose diameter of 0.298 inches. The base of these boolits was a little rounded. For interest sake I measured some lead nose that I cast for hunting using the same mould. They were more variable, but most of them weighed between 199.9 and 200.4. At any rate, the lead noses, which went right down to the topmost drive band, measured between 0.2985 to 0.2990 inches. Hope this is of some use. Fred

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Fred.

I'm guessing if you increase your melt temp to around 780F and perhaps treat your 309-200's cavity with a little butane soot, you'll add 3 or 4 more grains of payload. Don't let that little Lee mould get too hot though. Slow down a bit when it starts to stubbornly hang onto bullets... or start filling two moulds during the same casting session to increase your production.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions 44. I was casting around 750 deg f with the WW, but a little higher with the lead nose hunting boolits. Think you are probably right as I noticed that I cast lighter during my early culls, then started to get consistent in my casting as the higher temperature was reached. I will try increasing the temperature more next time. I noticed too that I could fill out the base a little more by pouring more cast on the sprue then waiting a bit longer to cut it. The dies are sooted up pretty good, though I use Eddy matches rather than butane. Will send in more data if my next casting at higher temperatures leads to more fillout on the nose. Fred

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred,

Are "Eddy" matches wooden kitchen matches? It's pretty easy to apply too much soot to a mould cavity with wooden matches which is why I apply a thin layer (more like just a discoloration) to the cavities with a butane lighter... such as those for lighting pilots and fireplace log lighters. If you pour it on too heavy it may decrease bullet diameter but it's more likely that you'll plug the tiny vent lines in the Lee moulds which will cause fill out problems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK fine 44! I just happen to have a butane lighter that I can try. I was trying to get a good dark coating on the mould. Looks like I was going the wrong way. Boolits don't look too bad, but there is room for improvement. Fred

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi 44. I haven't been casting during the past week. Have been trying to solve some shotgun reloading problems and working. I try not to let work interfere with more important stuff, but winter is coming and wood has to be cut and stacked. The office still requires me to come in once in awhile too, despite my advanced age, as the younger bucks and does all tell me :). Still, I might get around to doing some casting today (thursday). I know I will before the weekend is over. I want to pay more attention to fill-out as you mentioned. Be back at you then... Fred

1 - 13 of 13 Posts