Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if anyone out there has owned or shot the Cabela's 1866 rifle and your opinions on it.  I know that it is manufactured by Uberti.  Good rep?  I love the brass receiver and the 24.25" octagonal barrel.  My wife says that it will be a Father's Day gift but it is actually a bribe for accepting a [email protected]#&#36% cat in the house.  I hope it sleeps alot but if not, well, does cat fur with a .45LC hole in it bring anything on the market these days?  By the way I also seek any advice given on the matter of caliber.  .45LC or .44WCF?  Thanks for any opinions or advice in advance as I have tried posting this at other sites with almost no reply yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Texvol , I own a Cabela's 1873 with a half round half octagon barrel and this thing really shoots nice, so maybe the 66 will be as good!

·
Beartooth Regular
2,145 Posts
Texvol,
      I don't know about the 1866 but I have a friend who is into cowboy action shooting bigtime and I can share his observations about the 45 vs the 44-40. He says that many of the shooters he knows have abandoned the 44-40  because of difficulties with the cases. Apparently the case design is fairly fragile and it's easy to got a lot of reptured cases, and not from excess pressure (these guys use the lightest load that will get the bullet out the barrel!). But there are some shooters that use it with good success. I would suspect that the 44-40 requires much more attention to detail than the 45, but if you are willing to put in the extra work it will do OK. For trouble free use it seems the 45 is more popular. My buddy distributes the Laser-Cast bullets from Oregon Trail and deals with many shooters, so I respect his opinion and observations. Good luck and shoot straight!     ID

1 - 3 of 3 Posts