Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a muzzleloader for the elk hunting seasons in colorado and washington. Due to regulations it needs to be a caplock (no in-line in wash.) I am looking at the .54 cal carbine hawken in the cabela's catalog for 299$ or the T/C custon shop renegade hawken in .54 or .58 for $399. The advantages of the cabela's that I can see are a 1:28 twist for conicals (1:48 for the T/C) and a handier shorter barrel for in the dense woods. Any thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In-lines ARE legal in WA

bbellard

My elk gun is a .54 rem ml700. It is in-line and legal

In lines are legal in WA if the cap fits on a nipple (No no. 209 primers but regular caps and musket caps are OK) and it is exposed to the elements. An in-line rifle with a completely enclosed cap is the exception, not the rule.

Quote from regs pg 14 sec 1a
..ignintion is to be wheellock, matchlock, flintlock, or precussion using original style precusion caps that fit on a nipple and are exposed to the elements.

sec2g In-line Muzzleloader: In-line muzzleloaders are legal only if ignition uses original style precusion caps that fit on a nipple.

Keep your fingers on. Maybe I'll see you.

bbellard said:
I am planning on buying a muzzleloader for the elk hunting seasons in colorado and washington. Due to regulations it needs to be a caplock (no in-line in wash.) I am looking at the .54 cal carbine hawken in the cabela's catalog for 299$ or the T/C custon shop renegade hawken in .54 or .58 for $399. The advantages of the cabela's that I can see are a 1:28 twist for conicals (1:48 for the T/C) and a handier shorter barrel for in the dense woods. Any thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 1:48 twist in the TC is more than adequate for .54 cal conicals. It will shoot roundballs as well, handy when using lighter loads to stalk "pot meat". The TC is better quality and I believe it has better customer service in case anything goes wrong which is less likely. You might not like the QLA, but you can have the barrel shortened and recrowned easily and relatively inexpensively (compared to a cartridge arm).

The 1:28 in this caliber is really for the sabot rounds. I don't like them.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I'd say if you can afford the TC, go with it. I have looked at a lot of muzzle loaders over the years up at Friendship. While the imports and the guns like the Traditions (one of which I am sure makes the Cabela's guns) will get the job done, they do not have anywhere near the fit and finish of the TC rifles IMO. In .54 and .58, a 1:48 is plenty fast enough to stabilize even heavy conicals like the TC maxi-hunter as well as good enough for RB shooting. IIRC, even the 1:48 is ok for sabots in the .54, but the Hornady sabots in the .58 needed faster than the 1:48 the TC Big Bore offered. They may have shot OK, but after reading Hornady's warning, I figured why chance wasting the money. Besides, it slings those Maxi-hunters with tremendous authority.
The QLA feature of the TC is big plus IMO. While my Rem 700 and Green Mountain .50 barrel for the TC Big Bore did not have the QLA, they both do now. I bought a reamer from Brownells and cut them in. No short starter needed now and every bullet enters square and easily. You would have to try it before and after to see how much the QLA can improve accuracy. Even just a little tipping as the bullet enters the barrel can hurt accuracy. Just remember, you do not see too many ML shooters up at Friendship that do not have false muzzles on their bench guns. The QLA works exactly the same as a false muzzle. By the way, reaming out that 1.125 inch of barrel did not affect velocity in the slightest, well within normal shot to shot variation.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I'll second Big Bores reccomendation of the TC QLA system. I've only been using a ML for about 4 years, and the two that I have are both TC's. I've shot in a couple of silhouette matches at our gun club and had the opportunity to watch other match shooters struggle with their guns that don't have the QLA or a false muzzle. I believe it's a great feature. It's quick to load, you need one less peice of equipment to load with, and the Black Diamond rifle I've been using the longest is very accurate. The Encore barrel is another issue, but it is easy to load and accurate with maximum loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts