Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a caliber fetish? Meaning do you have a rifle for every chambering within a caliber (or try to get every one)? I was thinking the other day that it would be neat if I had every 35 caliber rifle chambering under the sun. A 35 remington, 358 win, 350 RM, 358 Norma, etc. I was thinking the 35 cal only because there seems to be fewer of them. But any caliber would be neat to "have all of."

Wildcats included of course.

· Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I did for a while with shotguns...I had an auto, pump, O/U, SxS, and single shot for every 20, 12,16, and 28 gauge I owned.....

Too many guns. culled the herd, kept the best two of each.

I do have some handguns that I have carbines to match, ala .357, 9mm, 40cal, and 45colt

Sickness like this could put a man in the po' house...:D
then there's several 45acps, be it Glock, Springfield, Smith, Colt ect....

· Registered
13,252 Posts
It would be relatively easy to collect all of the rifles that shoot .277" diameter bullets. Excluding very obscure wildcats, you'd have 270Win, 270WSM, 270Weatherby, 6.8SPC, 270REN and possibly one or two more. I think few shooters collect in this manner because you have even more overlap than you do with a more conventional rifle/cartridge collection.

· Registered
2,829 Posts
Does anyone here have a caliber fetish? Meaning do you have a rifle for every chambering within a caliber (or try to get every one)? I was thinking the other day that it would be neat if I had every 35 caliber rifle chambering under the sun. A 35 remington, 358 win, 350 RM, 358 Norma, etc. I was thinking the 35 cal only because there seems to be fewer of them. But any caliber would be neat to "have all of."

Wildcats included of course.
I got a 356 Win instead of the 35 Rem. I don't consider it a fetish though. A fetish is like my collection of 19th century corsets that I only wear on special occasions!
;>)

· The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,604 Posts
Good for you, leverite - would just hate to see you wear them for every day work!

My only fetish, if you call it that, is several 6.5 caliber rifles, all with different case designs.

· Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
My fetish, hobby or what ever one wants too call it center on one chambering -- 22 Hornet. The collection consists mainly of American made firearms chambered in this caliber with some Asian, European, Austrilian, Swedish and Philipino varients thrown into the mix. Between the pistols, rifles, combination rifle/shotguns I never realize what I got myself into collecting. After fifteens years collection the collection is approaching the century mark with no letup in sight. Definately will not collect all European variants made over the past ninety years.

· Registered
1,630 Posts
...My only fetish, if you call it that, is several 6.5 caliber rifles, all with different case designs.
I want a 6.5-'06!! Thought a 6.0-'06 ( .243-'06 ) would be a bit overbore...

:)

· Registered
1,630 Posts
My collections go 2 other directions:

I have a .30-06 sporter, a 1903A3, and an M1 << all very different , yet all .30-06.

I have a 1911 in .45, and just bought one in 9mm today. Want one in .40S&W.

:)

· The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,604 Posts
gmd - yup, got a 6.5-06 and its a pretty fair shooter!

Also have a 6mm/284 (you can call it a .243-06) that is a tack driver. Have just under 1,000 firings through it and keeping a careful eye with a Hawkeye Bore Scope, so far - so good!

· Registered
12,234 Posts
Guess I've also have my share of 30-06's all in different rifles P-17, 1903-A3, 760's, 742 and Savage 110.

I really jam on the quarter bores although I haven't had a lot of them.... .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .257 AI and the current 25-06. Everyone of them seemed almost magical in taking game.

· Banned
219 Posts
I have owned a lot of 7mm's. I like 30 cal a lot. Love the 429 slugs whether 44 mag or 444 Marlin. Heck, I like them all.

1. 300 Win Mag
2. 308 Win
3. 257/25-06
4. 270 Win

My favorites.

I like them all but 6mm. I don't see much use for a 6mm for anything.

· Banned
3,929 Posts
Well I do like those .338 calibers a bunch! I only have 4 at the present time but that is plenty to keep me busy at the rifle range. I told the wife the other day, "We need another safe" NO..........YOU want another safe but we need a new bathroom downstairs!!! :eek: :( :rolleyes:

· Registered
8,424 Posts
Well I do like those .338 calibers a bunch! I only have 4 at the present time but that is plenty to keep me busy at the rifle range. I told the wife the other day, "We need another safe" NO..........YOU want another safe but we need a new bathroom downstairs!!! :eek: :( :rolleyes:

Why is it that sooo many wives equate a new rifle to some type of home repairs??:confused::confused: Is it in some marriage guide somewhere or sumpthin'??:eek:

· Registered
1,220 Posts
I recall reading an article back in early 1970's about a custom 358 Norma MAG which was crafted from a Remington 700 in 30-06. It occurred to me that if the 30-06 action is long enough, then what advantage does 358 Norma MAG have over the 35 Whelen? Aren't these cartridges about the same in length?

I recall another article in 1980's about a wildcat named 35-284 which claimed to produce identical ballistics as 35 Whelen but in slightly smaller case.

The mighty 350 Remington MAG also claims to produce twin ballistics as 35 Whelen.

With all these cartridges measuring themselves against the 35 Whelen, it seems to me that owning a 35 Whelen covers a lot of cartridges with just one.

Please share your thoughts.

TR

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.