Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well me and some buddy's are looking to go wild boar hunting here in California and was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with a good hog hunting guide and or ranch. Any input is appreciated thanks :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Google is going to be your best bet on locating pig hunts, not cheep by no means and you need to check references . Also as stated above we do have the no lead policy in the southern half of the state.
This drought has hurt us pretty bad the last couple of yrs. The ranch I hunt up north only took 2 hogs last spring. We generally take 6 to about 18 for the group that hunts there. There was a real shortage of feed and water last yr.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I'm from California so I know the no lead in the condor zone and soon to be whole state law. I have been doing tons of research online for good spots just wanted to see if anyone had some first hand experience with a good place they would recommend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Fort Hunter Liggett in Monterey County is a good choice. The entry fee is about $40 and there's plenty of hogs on base. Very strict rules of entry and entry is limited due to military exercises. There's 162,000 acres of rolling hills.
I hunted there about 10 yrs ago and we took 2 hogs out of 3 hunters. Had a great time. This would be a good time to go too as the land is still green and temperatures are mild. Check out the web-site:
The United States Army | Fort Hunter Liggett

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a successful hunt the weekend of March 14-15 with Nessen Schmidt out of King City. 5 hunters, 5 hogs down. We actually got there Friday afternoon about 3:00PM. By 4:30 we were in the field, by 6:30PM, we all had our animals. Weight range was from 125 to 185lbs. Nessen hunts on over 100,000 acres of cattle ranch land, all fair chase. The guides are cowboys and know the land well. We were going to shoot ground squirrels on Saturday but the grass is so high, we couldn't see any squirrels. If Nessen is booked, you can try Tom Willoughby, also in King City. Nolan Twisselman has hog hunts on the Temblor Ranch, 88,000 acres, on Hwy 58. The drought hit him pretty hard but I passed through there after my hunt and the grass was high, so he may be OK.

We have been hunting with Nessen for about 8 or 9 years, everyone has always gotten a pig. I have hunted pigs with Nolan once and was successful. Saw plenty of animals on both ranches.

Nessen Charges $625 dollars for a hunt. He has a lodge that sleeps 12 that is available for $65.00/night/person. Nolan Twisselman charges $600 for a hunt that includes the lodge, which has a small bass pond to boot.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I used to guide in Cali when I was in grad school. Nessen and Tom both hunted in the same areas we did and had good reputations. If you can find someone who hunts Parkfield, the area is tops.

Beware, there are nefarious guides out there (hunting domestics, etc). DFG used to issue a list of registered guides (BTW: ALL licensed guides MUST be bonded)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.