Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of gun politics, I've been hearing rumors of California and New York passing laws prohibiting 50 cal firearms. Any truth? Also heard California is trying to pass some pretty high taxes (user fees?) on ammunition, reloading supplies, firearm purchases, etc...

Anyone from those states care to fill us in?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Alyeska338, your hearing right, the 50bmg is on its way to being outlawed. The bill has passed the house and is going to the senate for a vote. If you own one it must be registed as the assualt weapons were. They tried a 5 cent tax "per bullet", but that failed, there trying a 10 cent tax "per bullet" bill now. I work part time in a gun shop and latley I notice that getting primers and powder are out of stock and go on back order. Myself I live close enough to the NV boarder that I could make a trip to Reno to pick up things if I needed them. Calif seems to be a test state for all the stupid gun laws, (and a lot of others), to see if they can get away with it, and how much more they can get in taxes.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
585 Posts
California Communists.

Why, people rob stores all the time with 50BMG's dont they? You can hide a 50lb BMG in your pants pocket cant you?

The evil that is in California is like a cancer. The state is bust, owes more money then all the other 49 states combined and they simply cant figure it out. Its always everybody elses fault.

GAWD
Thats why I live in Arizona.......:mad:

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gun Runner,
So is the 50 cal ban only for the 50 BMG or does it include other 50 cal cartridges, rifles and those larger?

Is the 500 S&W, 500 Linebaugh, 50 AE, 505 Gibbs, etc... included?

As for the ammo tax, if you buy 100 rounds of 22 rimfire ammo, the tax effectively doubles the price? Is this for loaded cartridges only or is it "per bullet"?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Alyeska338, their is also talk that they are not gonna sell the S&W 500 here. Dont know about the others. My gunsmith builds 500 linebaughs from Ruger single actions. Next time I see him will ask if he has heard anything on the linebaughs. As for the tax on bullets, it was suppose to be on each loaded round. Nothing on just bullets "YET". The 5 cents per bullet tax got beat, so now they want to try 10 cents per bullet, they will probable try and add it as a trailer onto some bill that their sure will pass. So far every bill that is againsts guns/ammo etc.. has been made by the democrats.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
585 Posts
Time for everybody to start reloading.

The one thing they could politically do is ban or control primers. "why would anybody NEED 10,000 primers"? ...will be the argument.

Now I can reuse all my old brass, I can pour lead and I could even make black powder but the Primers would be tricky.

Thats why I have around 20,000 primers in stock. I buy them 10,000 at a time. It sounds like a lot but they dont take up too much space....:mad:

·
Registered
178 Posts
With the disclaimer that this is second hand information and not a reading of the proposal, I was told that this tax seeks to CLOSE :mad: the "reloading loophole" and apply the same tax to each discrete component. Let's see primer, case, and bullet that is $.30 for each first reload and $.20 for each subsequent load in tax per reloaded round. How they intend to attack powder I have not heard, but rest assured the phobic, tyrannical lefties in my state will get around to it all.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
We got a proposed Canadian law that was going to regulate reloading componets dumped recently. While we have a bucket full of problems up here, I'm convinced California and a couple of other states are worse.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
God Bless the good people of California - I wish all the other millions of people there and their entire political system would just fall into the ocean...

See signature for clarification:D

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Jack's right. Some of our major cities (Chicago, New York, Washington DC) have far worse gun laws than Canada.

Yes, large groups of stupid people is an accurate description.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Ain't all those other states great, power to the people, right? Ohhh, wait thats power to those who whine the most.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The only thing I can say good about California and New York is that God now has two choices on where he can stick the hose when he decides to give the world an enema.:mad:

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
We don't want to forget that the California and New York "elected officials" we express concern about were put in office and remain in office based on a democratic vote. Maybe the problem isn't simply a few government officials, but is the electorate?

Out of curiosity, why do you suppose someone doesn't selected a current law and drive it to the Supreme Court level to contest the 2nd Admendment interpretation......are they concerned about the risk of losing, thus take a "let sleeping dogs lie" attitude?

Dan

·
Banned
585 Posts
DOK

There are poeple who vote democrat who are intelligent and have ideas. My take is that most intelligent people vote conservative and ALL THE STUPID people vote as a democrat. They want somebody else to rule them and tell them what to do. The typical liberal invents nothing, creates nothing of value but simply thinks they can run our lives better then we can.

·
Banned
7 Posts
I've never posted before or even registered, but this post makes me do so.

This is exactly the kind of half cocked stuff that gets the ball rolling boys.

did you know it is LEGAL to own a hundgun in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx? yep. sure is.

we have two people that we guide for the last 18 years that have pistol permits and live in NYC.

I even visited them once and went to the range with them, there are lots of ranges there, indoors of course, but there are more out on the Long Island.

I live 8 hours north of there, right along the border with canada almost.
can canadains own any pistol they want like new yorkers can, and in any number?

the proposed regulation on 50 cals ( ALL 50 cals, from Jeremiah Johnson's rifle to your new handgun) in NY is not a Clinton/Schumer Democrat thing.

one bill was PROPOSED BY A REPUBLICAN!

Why? the Association of Police Chiefs want it that way. among others.
hunters, shooters, and sportsmen as a whole are divided, we divide ourselves by state, type of guns, race, gender and age.

We need to be united and that means breaking out the check books folks, not just talking about it.

when the PBA said they had a list of guns they wanted off the streets the Republicans and Democrats joined hands and said, ofcourse, you're heroes, what can we do?

Now under the anti-terrorist acts this is easy to push through, say you are pro-gun is the same as saying you are pro- terrorist said one banner.

sure some cops own guns, but most are not NRA members, the numbers show that less than 20% shoot recreationally nationwide, and that only 1.5% belong to a national or state gun owner association and here's the kicker....many bills exclude police officers from the bans. whether the guns are for work or not.

That's called a police state and then you may as well live in england, canada or australia ( hmmm. all those who didn't kick the British out ....i see a trend)

Don't just read this site, join your local and national gun groups, whether or not you agree 100% with them. you need to make the numbers show we are NOT the minority.
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=1397

Don't blame residents of certain states, don't even blame the politicians, find out who is whispering in their ear and waving their check books, like the PBA and ***. of chiefs, and go after them!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that Guides For Hire, I doubt that most here would completely agree with you, but you bring up some valid points. Yes Canada, England, and Australia have completly banned firearms or are very close. The problem with it happening in the United States of America is that if you read the Second Amendment it clearly says "...the right of the people...''. That actually makes it illegal for any form of government to support or pass into legislation any form of gun control. If you think there is some gray, you are mistaken. There is no gray. It's either legal or illegal. Guncontrol is illegal. You can read my paper if you like, its posted here under the title "my gun control paper''. I made some modifications to it but have not changed it here yet but if you have any suggestions please PM me or post the info.

·
Banned
585 Posts
GuidesForHire

You mean you know people who have done the "Mother May I oh please please, pretty please" thing to own a handgun?

I live in FREE america, the State of Arizona. Walk into a gun store, plot your money down, fill out a form, quick call to the police department and walk out the door with a handgun, rifle or shotgun. In my case I slap down my CCW permit and they dont even have to call the police. Arizona is a "MUST ISSUE" state for CCW's. In other words take a 16 hour saftey course (by an NRA certified instructor) and have no criminal record and your good to go. Your telling me I can walk into a store in NYC and walk out with a semi auto 50 BMG in less then 30 minutes?

You can here in Arizona. We are citizens, not subjects of the state. You can even own class III full auto weapons here. :D

·
Banned
7 Posts
who is talking about grey area?? waht is there to agree about? i'm giving you facts, you can read the bills yourself, the numbers are not hidden call the NRA, what grey?

shout it's illegal from the roof tops it won't stop them. Ask them to read your paper while they box up your guns.

what are you kidding? read my paper....jeesh. your generation is my social security?!

the second AMENDMENT.....
"amendment "
SYLLABICATION: a·mend·ment
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: -mndmnt KEY
NOUN: 1. The act of changing for the better; improvement: “Society may sometimes show signs of repentance and amendment” (George G. Coulton).
2. A correction or alteration, as in a manuscript.
3a. The process of formally altering or adding to a document or record. b. A statement of such an alteration or addition: The 19th Amendment to the Constitution gave women the right to vote.
4. A material, such as organic matter or sand, mixed into soil to improve growing conditions.

son, it's a piece of paper , it can, has and likely will be changed.

deeds are accomplished through action not words. they may have signed the declaration of independence but they didn't stop there with papers, they then lifted a musket.

edit: how the **** do i know what they have in NYC? beretta and holland and holland have stores there, that's all i went to.
and yes in NY you can walk in and out with a 50 BMG in under 30 minutes. Zacks guns in ballston spa has a few nice grizzlys and a barrett on the rack.

again, you miss the point, in Vermont there is no permits, everyone is entitled to carry and buy a handgun, there is no paperwork otrher than a yellow form. no carry or concealed permits, but you again divide by state and not by shooter.

you focus on Arizona vs New York and vs. VT, and when you call on NY to aid you they will say, good, let him lose his guns, serves him right.

you kids don't remember when this happened before. and that is the shame of it. one by one Hitler knocked over country after country, it was years before england was involved, and more before we were. and yes, the neighboring countries sat there and watched austria fall, poland, one after another. why? cause it wasn't them.

I can see from the mettle we have to forge with that the fate of american freedom is sealed. you will lose your guns. you already have lost them through inaction.

you talk about being 'approved' like it was a freedom, I grew up (and until JFK was shot ) ordering guns and ammo through the mail.
everyone that was in the war had a full auto, most of us still do.

class 3? bull****. we were americans who defended our nation, we are free men. we'll own what we want to own.

any nation that has generations willing to bow their heads to being told what to wear in your own car, and where and when you can smoke will submit to anything.

you live your lives asking permission, and when you get it you think you are free.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Things aren't quite as out of control in Canada as a couple of recent posts suggest. There hasn't been any mass destruction of guns in Canada as there has been in England and Australia. Handguns are more restricted than in many states, but the number is limited by your wallet, not the law. Types aren't limited if you're grandfathered in the 12(6) class, which are .25 & .32 calibre and barrels under 105mm, or 4 1/8". Concealed carry is available, but difficult. If you're far enough out in the bush or have friends in high places, you can carry handguns. The RCMP don't like this advertised. As for registration, probably half the owners haven't yet, with 2 weeks to go.

I am not saying I like the current situation.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Hi guys,

Let's not start WWIII over regional insults, OK?

I do get the distinct impression that pistol permits & such in many locations (such as New York City) are granted on the whim of politicians. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here (Texas) it's "shall issue" so you have to be legally disqualified to not get your CHL.

No one in the U.S. is completely 'free' to purchase firearms, at least from dealers. You have to fill out the federal forms, don't forget.

Jack can pipe up on Canadian laws but they're certainly much better off than the Brits, and better off than some of my relatives in different parts of the country when it comes to buying firearms.

Eric Gibson can give us the latest on Australia. They have restrictions, but haven't been disarmed nearly to the extent you might believe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts