Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is probably going to sound elementary to most of you. I grew up around shotguns and shotgunning, but there is one thing that was never really explained to me. On most of the boxes of shotshells you can buy, there is one spec. that I never understood. "Dram EQ." What exactly does this mean, please don't think of me as a lower life form...lol. Thanks

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Dean, when shotgun shells were first introduced they were loaded with black powder which was measured in Drams. When they converted to smokeless powder, they used the "Drams equivilent" so users could correlate the new smokeless loads power to the black powder loads they had been using. Kind of like the fact that we do not ride horses much anymore but a cars power is measured in HORSE POWER.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dram Equivalent is an indication of velocity. I grew up thinking in DE, but it can be confusing to a lot of folks.

A 12 Gauge, 3 DE, 1 Ounce load is 1,235 FPS. 3 DE, 1 1/8 Ounce, 1,200 FPS. 3 DE, 1 1/4 Ounce, 1,165 FPS. As much as I hate to say it, if you don't quite understand it, disregard it. I believe the MV is also printed on the boxes, that makes DE redundant.

DC

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
I would just ignore it, yes.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
It's about as relevant, these days, as the term "16-penny" nail. Yes, if you know what that means, you know the approximate size of the nail, but you aren't going to get a pound of them for 16 pennies, anymore! :D

Shot weight and velocity, both of which are on the box, are what you really need to know.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If we want to use only modern trminology, we should also get rid od "Gauge" when we refer to shotguns. After all, is an overbored 12 Gauge really a 12 Gauge? Use bore size.

I don't want to see DE disappear, it means something to me, but, if velocity figures are available, it can be disregarded.

DC

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks for all the information. It isn't that I don't want to use the term, I just simply wanted to know what it meant, and how to use it. Thanks for the help. Now that I know, and better understand, I know now that the 40 year old box of shells I found in paw paw's attic run about 1100fps. Again thanks, and God bless.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I have noticed that don't see 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge loads marked 4 DR EQ. anymore.

Have seen some boxes marked MAX DR EQ. Wonder why they bother to print that?

Cheezywan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as a previous poster commented, I've always ignored it due to the fact that the velocity is printed right on the box along with the load weight, that and the shot size are really the only things you need pay attention to....I was just curious about the term "dram eq" as I had never had explained to me before...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts