Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got to try lever revolution ammo..this after being very
much a non believer..i knew it might exstend the range but didn t know it could so increase accuracy as to compare with my bolt savage 30 06..
a friend bought me some an now i feel like a dunce.. the thing went from at best 1 1/2 moa to about .75..i may not get to try it on a 200 yrd shot for a while due to personal problems but my friend says im not gonna believe the accuracy out that far once i learn the rnd.. its truely a revolutionary rnd.. every body told me but im just old an slow to accept new things..boy what ive been missing .. this gun is no longer my 30 06 back up.. its like haveing a new type gun..:)slim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Beings I've been a reloader all my life I guess I fit into the hard headed part of this. A little faster doesn't really matter to me , but the accuracy part does. I guess that I'll watch what you do till I have to make any changes:confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm still not sold on the idea, I like my lever actions loaded with big old flat nosed bullets, and I like to get in close where moa accuracy and a slight increase in velocity doesn't matter. Actually, there was a magazine test of the lever evolution .30/30 ammo out here and some federal fusion ammo that was also tested had a higher velocity, and produced better accuracy, at a much lower price. I see they're offering the projectiles as reloading components now - the .45 Long Colt bullet looks ridiculous!!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I helped a friend wring out his three .30-30 rifles with Leverevolution ammo a few months back. All three are great shooters with Remington and Winchester "normal" factory loads. One shot the LE stuff very, very well. The other two wouldn't keep 3 shots of it on a dinner plate at 100 yards.

My conclusion -- if your rifle likes it, it's wonderful stuff. If your rifle hates it, you've badly wasted your money and learned your lesson. Good luck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
hmmm... interesting. I've not bought any pointed ammo, seeing that the flat stuff has so far proved sufficient. Might.

IMHO even if you decide to stick with the flat stuff, it would be worth a box or 2 of the LE ammo just to see if your rifle likes it. If your rifle likes the LE ammo that just gives you another option in ammo to use.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You are slow an hard-headed.;) I have been waiting for the 44 mag stuff for a while. I think the 265 is available for the 444 but I had bad luck with the 265 gr flat point so I won't try that bullet. I did not have good luck with the 240 XTP but it was probably me. I am happy with my Beartooth for hunting now. I probably will try the gummy tips when they come out but only after they are offered for the handloader.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found the LE 30-30 ammo does very well in my 336. Very accurate, though standard is good also. Consistant groups around 1" with scoped rifle. Now with my 1894 in 44 mag the LE stuff was nothing special at all. Remington 240 and 275 gr. loads are much better, even Win. was better and my old 1894 doesn't like the winny stuff very well. Like usual, it depends on the rifle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Howdy. I've just bought a Marlin 336C in 35 Remington and plan to use Hornady Leverevolution in it, if they will shoot, but I can't buy the ammo locally. Haven't been able to for a month. Is this true everywhere? The Hornady site has a notice about this problem which seems to be current.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New poly-pointed ammo

I have a couple of questions, please. I have just about spent my last box of NORMA (Sweden) 7.7mm ammunition for my non-customized Arisaka99 type2 two piece take down paratrooper rifle and have found an old gunsmith that has suggested I get some custom loads made up for whitetail before next season. I believe he said he could "neck dowm" some .308 or 30.06 brass and SPEER 170gr bullets for a much hotter round than the 130 (or so) grain round nose Swedish ammo. Does this sound correct? Could the new poly-point bullets (if a .311 dia. bullet is even made in the new tip ammo) be used or tested with this custom ammo? The Arisaka has a very stout reciever so I believe a much hotter powder charge could be used! And with reference to the new poly-point ammo..... I got into a discussin with a young man who had just one firearm that he used for home defense and deer hunting? A 336c. He asked the question that if leaving his 30.30 fully loaded (for home defense) with poly-point ammo would it disfigure the soft bullet points from being compressed in the magazine tube by the spring? Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello arisaka99, if you kept the norma brass of your 7.7 jap, no problem to reload... get yourself a set of die 7.7 jap.( if all the brass was fired in your rifle I would favor neck size on stead of full lenght ) and any bullets of your choice in caliber .311/.312 with the proper powder charge will work fine. After few test you will determine the best load for accuracy.
If you did not save the brass you could use 06 brass, need to resize full lenght with 7.7jap.die and trim to proper lenght ( about 1/4 " to remove from the neck) . After once fired in your rifle use neck size die, the brass will last longer.
The .308 brass wont work since the cartridge is to short to start with.
Always concerning the 7.7 jap bullet I would favor 150 or 170 gr. tip over the 130 and no need to go over the prescribe load, the animal will not notice any difference and you are safe... always start your load down and work it up within the parameter.!
_________
roberto

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you leave the leverevolution ammo or projectiles sitting on a shelf for a few years, I wonder if the points will lose their elasticity and go hard, causing a magazine detonation?

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good question .. but on mine anyway.. the tips seem pretty hard now[new ammo]....
id bet theres been fireings in the magazine by somebody.. but havn t heard of any.. still i like the rnd..slim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spence, the 35 Rem ammo(Hornady LE) has been scarce in these parts of Alabama for a while now. Good luck in finding it. Ammo period has been low on the shelves of most places that I've ventured into looking for said ammo. Looks like I'll be looking into buying the equipment needed to begin loading my own.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My local gun shop finally got some in, but only 5 boxes. That's not much for a busy, large shop in a big metro area where .35 is a pretty popular caliber. And no other shops have any, at all. It seems most all the on-line ammo sites are backordered, too. Of course, when ammo is scarce the price always goes up. I bought 3 boxes this morning, had to pay $30.95.

I'm anxious to try the stuff out. I won't have anything to compare it to, since I've never fired a shot with .35 ammo of any sort.

Spence

·
Registered
867 Posts
Arisaka, for what it's worth: Many years ago P.O. Ackley ran blow-up tests on the available bolt actions. The old ugly Arisaka action surprisingly turned out the winner. He said he fired some loads that literally vaporized the case but the action held together. Not that I would advocate trying anything like that. Goatwhiskers the Elder

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
don t leave the leverlution in your gun from one season to the next.. hornady advises to not leave leverolution in the gun ,when shes not being used..slim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts