Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,

Ive been doing some shopping and I have my next rifle tacked down to one of two completely different things. Originally i was looking at getting a lever action 410, but after some thought decided to go with something different. Ive narrowed things down to an Arsenal slr106ur which will eventually be cut down to an sbr OR a Chiappa 1892 alaskan in 44 magnum. So Im looking for some thoughts and opinions.

I want something thats going to be as small and compact as possible (obviously) as well as something that will be able of delivering enough punch for defensive as well as hunting work. Whatever I get I plan to buy dies for that caliber. The Arsenal has the advantage of a 556 chamber that will eat brass and steel all day, this is great as far as pickups and scavenging is concerned. It also folds down small while still being usable. The 1892 has the advantages of more power, it draws less attention, I already own a 44 red hawk, its easier on brass due to the action type, 44 is easier to reload, and there will be no NFA paperwork associated with it.

On the one hand I lean toward the Arsenal due to the fact no one has talked about banning lever guns that Im aware of, on the other the Chiappa has some very notable advantages. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Big difference in the two. The AK would be my choice but with a 16 inch barrel. No tax stamp and will pick up a bit of velocity for a hunting load.

I do like the 44 Magnum M92 but the AK is a lot more rugged. Ammo is a lot lighter too. And way faster reloads. Detail stripping the M92 lever is a real pain, take my word for it. The AK is very simple.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
One thing to keep in mind any Class 3 weapon will make you the first to be visited by big brother if things ever get bad or gun ownership rights get reevaluated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled the trigger on the Chiappa, no pun intended. I feel like it makes more sense in the long run, thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I would have suggested the Kel-Tec SU16.

Chambered in 5.56, 2 mags stow in the buttstock, weighs 4.5pounds, and folds in half.

I have one and it has proven to be 100% reliable so far and EVERYONE is impressed with it's accuracy and weight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Chiappa is sitting in layaway right now, I just went and made a payment on it today. Cant wait to get it out! Ive always had an affinity for lever actions but this one is gorgeous. Full review will follow when I get it paid off. I will likely just do a new post for that though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts