Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there are quite a few people in here new to hunting. You might want to consider a camera as part of your hunting gear. Those photos become pricelss memories. It was in 1980 when I first carried a camera for the sole purpose of getting a photo of a tree a bear tore up in a Cedar swamp. The damage was so incredible, I wouldn't be able to describe it to anyone. Later that day I had a spot of luck. I took a snap of where the buck layed, and then a snap with the rifle resting on him. And then a snap of him in the back of the truck. These pics are in a photo album now and one day when I hang up my boots, this album is where I'll go hunting. Just something to consider.

·
Banned
46 Posts
I have noticed not many folks post their own pics on this as much as other sites I am on. I used to take more pics and always carried a camera in my pack but it became a hindrance.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,226 Posts
I used to carry my digital camera in my hunting bag buy my cellphone now has an excellent camera built in that takes above average pictures. I just use it now and email the photos to myself so I don't even have to download them. I can also send the pictures to friends from the field. My hunting buddy who lives quite away from me recently sent me a picture of the big buck he just killed to my cellphone while I was sitting on my deer stand. Next best thing to being there.

·
Banned
46 Posts
I used to carry my digital camera in my hunting bag buy my cellphone now has an excellent camera built in that takes above average pictures. I just use it now and email the photos to myself so I don't even have to download them. I can also send the pictures to friends from the field. My hunting buddy who lives quite away from me recently sent me a picture of the big buck he just killed to my cellphone while I was sitting on my deer stand. Next best thing to being there.
I wish they would make one with a really good zoom. I think my wifys phone has got like a 3x or something but thats not enough really.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Carrying a camera while hunting is a great idea. I've been doing it for years, and with the advent of the smaller digital cameras, it is now easier than ever. As I'm new to this sight, I'm also quite surprized that there are not more pictures posted. Is the Gamepole the best spot to post pics including birds and varmints?:)

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
I never used to think about pictures all that much until I went on a bow-hunt with a buddy of mine. He was a pretty serious shutter-bug and had taken thousands of pictures of his hunts, all over the US and Africa. I harvested an exotic ram that weekend (long story, but I won't ever hunt that way again) and my buddy, Dan, insisted on taking a bunch of pictures before we dressed it out. At the time, I was mildly annoyed, thinking he meant 2 or 3 pics, but he took closer to 50! Later on, when I got to choose from a bunch of good pictures and a few great ones, I started to understand his interest.

A few years ago, I bought a book that explains some of the basics of taking good pictures, including lighting, framing, backgrounds, macro photography, etc. Since then, I've become more and more motivated to get very good pictures of my outdoor experiences because, as Jodum says, one day those photo albums will be the only kind of hunting I can still do! This last year alone, I got high-quality pictures of my wife and daughter with their first ever deer, as well as some good pics of the area we were hunting. In my opinion, photography is an important and simple way to improve your time in the great outdoors.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I used to say "Never go into a woods without a camera, becasue you never know what you might find."

I've gotten pics of weird trees, a huge snake skeleton, old farm silo ruins, etc.

Now, when hunting, I also carry a small tripod and use the timer on my digital camera. Makes a heck of a lot better pic than just holding the camera and getting only the deer. It adds a lot to get you in the pic with an interesting angle.

This pic is with tripod and timer:

Here's same deer, but someone else hand-held the camera and took the shot.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I used to say "Never go into a woods without a camera, becasue you never know what you might find."

I've gotten pics of weird trees, a huge snake skeleton, old farm silo ruins, etc.

Now, when hunting, I also carry a small tripod and use the timer on my digital camera. Makes a heck of a lot better pic than just holding the camera and getting only the deer. It adds a lot to get you in the pic with an interesting angle.

This pic is with tripod and timer:

Here's same deer, but someone else hand-held the camera and took the shot.

Very nice.:) Glad you had your camera along.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts