Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I like camouflaging rifles by wrapping them in burlap or similar if I'm going to hunt with them.

However, this has been done mostly with military arms - Mosin Nagants, SKS, etc - nothing that's too accurate.

I was thinking about doing this to my .22LR Savage Mk II BTVS. It has a free floated barrel.

I'm convinced nothing should touch that barrel.

How do military snipers go about doing this? They have rifles which are more precise at longer distances than my .22lr, but they seem to camo them up to go with their gillie suits.

How is this done while maintaining accuracy?

Thank you,

Josh

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i don t think the camaflodge is gonna affect accuracy as long as you don t allow an added pressure on the barrel..i just use a muted wrap thats dark in color.. after im done it just looks like a dead small limb.. jmo, good luck.. slim..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The gunsmith of mine who makes precision rifles paints camouflage patterns on them all the time. He wouldn't if it effected accuracy.

You free float the barrel so that the user and the rest don't touch the barrel, because the amount of pressure placed on the barrel by the user or the rest will be inconsistent from shot to shot. Paint, on the other hand, will be consistent. You can think of it as becoming part of your barrel.

By the way, bead blasting the exposed surfaces of the barrel and action will improve the ability of the paint to adhere to the metal.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is no hard and fast rule but here are some of the basic's.

The rifle camo must match your camo which should must match the surronding

Any additional material added can not impeded with the function of the rifle or the sights

Added material on your rifle should not be left in place for extended periods of time (not stored with it) as it can contain or not allow moisture to escape leading to corrosion

Shine / glare & movement must be mitigated. Don't forget watches, rings, glasses, which can often be forgotten and give away your position.

good luck
shoot straight and shoot often
GF

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have always wanted to Camo up a rifle, but I'll wait till I build a tactical/sniper rifle. I would also have a hard time painting a $1,000 scope!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Military "sniper" rifles usually came painted. I've seen some British snipers add spray painted tape to their rifle. It's a special kind of tape, I'm not sure where you'd get it but I'm sure you could if you're interested. I don't recall if they taped the barrel though. Burlap is awfully thorough, do you need that for hunting?

I was going to attach a picture or two but I don't think I can yet. Anyway, I don't think wrapping your barrel with burlap is going to kill your accuracy.

·
Registered
573 Posts
your accuracy should not change after you apply camo but your point of impact may.
John Plaster in his book the ultimate sniper indicates that you should zero the rifle with the camo in place. think of your rifle like a tuning fork, when struck (fired) it makes a certain tone. if you wrap it in fabric or other matieral the tone may be different but it will still make a tone. Plaster says POI may shift as much as 1/2 - 1 MOA after camo is applied but over all accuracy should not be affected.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Snip...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265658405&sr=1-3

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Watch the Military Channel. Occasionally you can see the Army Marksmenship team in training, or see the sniper competitions in Georgia. You will see them make their camo and take shots with it in place. If my Sendero wasn't so darn sexy like it is, I'd camo it !

But remember, if you are a good enough "sniper", you wont need camo. Shoot from far enough away that they can't see it anyway. It's not like you are in pursuit of Carlos Hathcock or anything. If you were, you'd be in big trouble and your camo would be the least of your worries anyway...lol

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I'm on the left in the pic which was taken around 95'. Rifles are Remington M24 (700 long action in 7.62 Nato). Burlap is loose around the stock and barrel. Once your in an area you also use local folage added to the gillie suit. Trained eyes will find the uncamofaluged sniper.

CD

·
Registered
39 Posts
camo

I'm on the left in the pic which was taken around 95'. Rifles are Remington M24 (700 long action in 7.62 Nato). Burlap is loose around the stock and barrel. Once your in an area you also use local folage added to the gillie suit. Trained eyes will find the uncamofaluged sniper.

CD
barrells are free floated so the wood doesnt warp and put inconsistent pressure on the barrell . wrapping the rifle loosely in camo painted burlap secured with 2 or 3 rubber bands wont affect accuracy. neither will camo tape available from bow shops or painting the stock ,use waterproof acrylic.Make sure to cover face and hands with mesh or charcoal etc. Dont swat at flies make sudden moves etc.good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts