Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I have a question about getting a license to carry a handgun and the legality of purchasing any type of firearm due to my past legal situation.

I turn 25 in 2 two weeks. When I was 20 years old, I was driving a car and stopped at a red light when an undercover police officer pulled up behind me with a blinking red light on the rear view mirror of his car.

To make a long story short, when he approached my vehicle, I drove away, which led to a minor pursuit. I stopped my car when a marked police vehicle joined the pursuit.

I had an unlicensed handgun in my car. I was charged with possession of the gun and eluding, both felonies. I plead guily and did some house arrest and probation, have not been in trouble since.

I was in the USMC at the time of the incident but that didn't help. My question is this: Will I ever be able to legally own a firearm in my state (Pennsylvania) or be able to get a permit to carry ?

A lawyer friend I spoke to advised me that felonies that you plead guilty to are not expungable.

Does anyone have more information on situations like this that can point me in the right direction :confused: Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys ...

My own research regarding PA Firearms Law found the following at http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=PA

No person may knowingly or intentionally transfer any firearm to any person who is prohibited from possession. No Pennsylvania resident who may lawfully purchase, possess, sell, or transfer a firearm shall be prohibited from purchasing or otherwise obtaining a rifle or shotgun in a jurisdiction outside the Commonwealth. Persons convicted of drunk driving three times within a five-year period may possess but may not purchase a firearm. A person with certain disabling convictions that keep him or her from purchasing and possessing firearms may apply to the Court of Common Pleas for restoration of his or her firearms rights. Such restoration does not constitute a pardon or guarantee an expungement of a criminal record.
So it looks like I may be able to apply for restoration of my firearms rights ... probably after a certain period of time.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen ... I don't need to run out and buy a gun tomorrow or anything but I would like to at very least have a shotgun for home use ...

It doesnt make any sense to me that an 18 year old gets arrested for a felony then 30 years later he still can't get a gun ...

I believe that where there is a will, there is a way ... as I posted earlier PA law states that a felon can apply for restoration of firearms privledges ...

In my experience, there is always SOMETHING you can do in these types of situations ... someone you can write a letter to, someone you can befriend, someone you can pay off...

I'm sure that if I were George Bush's nephew none of this would be a problem :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.