Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a heavy target barrel for a mauser in 308. It has two small spots of pitting that appear about 1/8" in diameter located 6 inches from the muzzle. I can feel them with a cleaning rod and tight patch. Can this barrel still be accurate or should I not even bother to have it installed on an action?

·
Banned
556 Posts
I've had pitted bores shoot under MOA like clockwork; I'm delighted and confident with those rifles. But, if it is not on the action, I'd go with clean and/or new and not take the chance.

You might just have it bored and rifled to the next caliber, if you're attached to it (also generally cheaper than a new barrel).

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
That close to the muzzle, if the crown is good, I'd bet it would shoot. As long as the pitted areas weren't longer than a bullet my money says it probably won't matter, except they might cause some fouling.

Some of my old military guns that I got cheap have horrible looking bores.... and would really surprise you how well they shoot.

But... since it's not yet on the gun, you have to spend some money to find out. A risk there to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Sounds like you are planiing to put that heavy barrel on the action...while I've had plenty of pitted barrels give great accuracy....but you have to wonder if they would have shoot even better without the pits.Pits always collect fouling...it's never going to get better. Will make cleaning a must.

Hard choice...if it were already together, would certainly shoot it to find out....but spending the money/time to fit a barrel pitted barrel correctly would make me pause. Seems like your case is one of spending the time/money to get a rifle together that starts off with a built-in fault....I'd prefer not to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts