Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatavely new to reloading and currently am using Alliant Unique powder and Rainier 124gr bullets in my 9mm Glock 19. I understand using different powers can improve accuracy. I'm currently using 4.5gr of powder to produce 1000fps. Any suggestions??

·
Banned
484 Posts
If you are getting good reliability out of that load, it should work OK for informal shooting. 4.5 of unique is a very light load...I use 4.5 gr. of Bullseye in my 9mm loads, for about 1100 fps. You should be able to go up to at least 5.5 of Unique if you need to.

Avoid lead bullets in your Glock, due to the polygonal rifling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip.

I'll try Bullseye on my next powder purchase and see if there is any difference.
Thanks Again,
Rick:)

·
Banned
502 Posts
Try WW231, I use 4.1 grains with a 124 LRN bullets, that is for my Hi Power and my Star pistols.

In my Glocks I only use factory jacketed bullets. I read the Rainer website, these semed to be a lightly plated or copper "washed" bullet. Not good for Glocks and the cheap ammo from over seas has blown up a couple of Glocks at some of the PDs arcound the country.

Jerry

·
Registered
95 Posts
the berrys or ranier plated should be fine at target loads. any faster powder works well for target loads 231 is my choice wsf works well and can be had economicaly.blue dot or power pistol for heavy loads.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I have probably shot 8,000 Rainier and/or Berry plated bullets out of my Glocks. They work OK in the polygonal rifling because the plating is thick enough to avoid leading the bore.

The only problem I have had with them is if I set my taper crimp too firmly. If you are using too much taper crimp, when you seat the bullet, a little oversize ring can be swaged on the bullet just forward of the case mouth. It makes the bullet look like it has a little semiwadcutter step on it. You have to look closely to see it. If it is there, it can result in failures to fully chamber a round.

The cure is to back off the crimp until that ring no longer appears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Plated Bullets

With FMJ bullets so hard to come by I tried Ranier and Zero plated bullets frpm Luckygunner.com. I've used about 1000 round of each ane the accuracy on both seems excellent. Have not notice any lead fouling problem. Zeros prices are excellent and for target plinking the're perfect. I'll have to throw 231 on my list also for comparison.
Thanks for your input,
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts