Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

i am a NEW Member. A gun owner who has never shot a gun. I inherited my dad's guns 15 years ago, and am interested in seeing what one particular one is worth. Any help help from you and estimated asking price, and where I may be able to sell the handgun SOON. I'm not sure of its age. It IS in mint condition, and I doubt if it has ever been shot, as my father usually used his .38...

I know there are local gun shops everywhere, but I don't know if there are other options. I also DON'T know if there are any LEGAL ramifications. Your help would certainly be appreciated. The handgun in question is as follows:

Mitchell Arms Corp.
.44 Magnum, Single Action Revolver
Army Edition
6" Barrel Length
Fixed Sight
Finish: Blued

I look forward to any input. Thank you, folks!

3rdRock

·
Super Moderator
3,847 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here and hope you post often. I moved you post here where it may get mote attention. Please read the sticky at the top of this Handgun section regarding gun values. Take care. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Hi everyone!

i am a NEW Member. A gun owner who has never shot a gun. I inherited my dad's guns 15 years ago, and am interested in seeing what one particular one is worth. Any help help from you and estimated asking price, and where I may be able to sell the handgun SOON. I'm not sure of its age. It IS in mint condition, and I doubt if it has ever been shot, as my father usually used his .38...

I know there are local gun shops everywhere, but I don't know if there are other options. I also DON'T know if there are any LEGAL ramifications. Your help would certainly be appreciated. The handgun in question is as follows:

Mitchell Arms Corp.
.44 Magnum, Single Action Revolver
Army Edition
6" Barrel Length
Fixed Sight
Finish: Blued

I look forward to any input. Thank you, folks!

3rdRock

Welcome to the board !

FYI, any firearm is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it - TODAY (not whenever).

You should surf online gun auction for the same revolver in like condition, that has recently sold - paying little attention to unsold items that have "asking", "opening bid", or "buy-it-now" dollar amounts, which are not values ! They are simply what some seller would like to get for whatever.

The best way to sell your revolver would be to take multiple clear pic of it & and accompanying boxes/papers/etc, then with a detailed written description (read many descriptions to get the hang of what's needed), place the revolver on one of the guns-only auction websites (like gunbroker, gunauction, etc) for a one or two week duration.

The online sites will give the widest possible viewing audience a look at your gun, which translates into the widest possible audience of buyers interested in acquiring it.

YMMV, but I've always been successful by starting my auctions @ $0.01, with a hidden reserve I was comfortable with for that particular firearm.

Since you're unfamiliar, US Federal Law prohibits direct firearm transfers from a private individual to any other unlicensed (Federal Firearms License) person from a different state than yours - which means a buyer must not only pre-pay (you) for the gun, but must also provide you the FFL-holder on their end to receive the gun.

FYI, revolvers cannot be mailed by a non-FFL, they must be shipped (UPS, FEDEX, etc), so those transfer costs should be kept in mind when setting up your advert.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Blue Book shows a value of $425 at 100% condition, they stopped making them in 1992 with an MSRP of $495. But like it has been pointed out it's really only worth what you can get someone to pay you for it. Last one I seen sale went for $280.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts