Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With James pointing out the bullet length mistake, I am faced with the need to increase the case length for my .416 TAS to the maximum for the BTB 335 grain. This length change rules out most other .416 bullets, and prompts an interest in bumping .41 bullets up if this can be done. I am not considering changing the cartridge from .416 because the BTB 335 is so well suited, but I am down now to four usable bullets and would like to have more variety.

Paco Kelley has written how to simply modify moulds if casting your own, but I don't. Ch4D has dies for squeezing bullets down a cailiber, but I have had no luck finding any for increasing. Only need .006 or .007 increase.

Fireplug

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Fireplug,

Would you like to wager a $ on the ratio of smart-aleck versus ligitimate responses you get? You might have considered asking the question with the qualification that no hammers are involved! I'd forgotten about your cartridge development and originally thought you would pulling our leg.

Hopefully there is a good answer awaiting (without a hammer).

Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actually.........................I have "bumped-up" .451 45LC to .455. I then used a Lee sizer to size down to a "finished" .454
I was using cast 255 gr. swc bullets. I simply placed them in a vise and tightened up, little by little. How out of round they were, i have not a clue, although they did shoot o.k.
Scott

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'd say your chances of success are dependent on the accuracy of your equipment.
There are swaging dies out there for use in reloading presses. These dies could do the swaging up you desire easily.
Once read an article in Handloader where the guy was using hollow point swaging dies to swage up and uniform the cast bullet.
Yes it doable and accurate.
<PLEASE DON"T TRY THIS>
Or Put your powder filled case in the chamber then drive the bullet from the muzzle until properly seated into the case. Then open bolt remove loaded round.

Jim

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Fireplug:
   I've bumped .308 lapping bullets up to .314 in the shop press. Wasn't pretty, but it worked. There's less metal in the nose, so it expands more than the driving bands. You may need swaging dies for a good job and they're $$$$$$.

Bye
Jack

<!--EDIT|Jack Monteith|May 21 2002,21:38-->

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
I've also heard of this being done in a Lubrisizer but have never attempted it. I would imagine it would have to be a softer alloy to attempt it.

I've also heard tell of spacing the mold blocks open slightly just enough to increase diameter of the poured bullet without finning. Not sure how good this works either. Would rather lap the mold bigger.

You could also try squeezing the bullet between your thumb and index finger. (sorry DOK, couldn't resist)

Regards

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

I thought this might be worth bouncing the idea off some others, since I new about the dies for squeezing bullets down. Looked everywhere I could think of for going up, but no luck, not even with the bullet swaging company Corbin. I was just looking for a light plinker load and this use is not worth too much time or money. The two BTB bullets, the 350 grain from the RCBS mould (sold by two companies) and the 300 grain Hawk should cover anything I need. I think the 335 BTB will be the winner of the bunch.

Fireplug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts