Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have a set of RCBS and Lee carbide dies. The Winchester brass will size easily in the carbide die but stick in the expander die and on the Federal brass I have the opposite situation. They are hard to resize but expand easily. Now, I believe it's the brass because the Winchester brass has been reloaded 7 or 8 times, but the Federal only's been reloaded 3 or 4 times. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
9,490 Posts
Would takequite a few 1000 reloads to wear out a steel set of dies...carbide would be a lot longer...your dies are not the problem. Are sizing the case enough, evidenced by the expander needing some effort to expand the necks.

Problem is that the Winchester cases, which are hard to expand, have become work hardened (and probably were a bit harder at the start)...keep uisng the Federals, and they'll become hard to expand as well.

Will try to locate a good site for annealing instructions....expect to start getting case splits on those Winchester cases in the next loading or so.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,320 Posts
With carbide dies, shouldn't wear out for many tens of thousands of rounds. Sound like a brass issue, get the calipers out and see if the case mouths are thicker on one brand than the other. Also, are the cases clean or really, really cruddy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank you fellas for your replies. I've been thinking on what I asked at the begining and you're right. It has to be the brass, because brass does get harder or more brittle as it's bent back and forth. I'll just shorten it and make 41 special brass out if. Thanks for helpin me think it through.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
ira41magfan
Since it sounds like your putting straight wall cases through these dies you don't need lube. As far as the sticking - are you hot loading your loads? If you are I've notice with case from hot load alittle more work is being done when sizing. So when your depriming/sizing you feel that more presure is needed than normal. When the sizing die is used I like to feel a tug on the brass when is being removed from the die, lets me know the the brass is still good and will grip the bullets. The only other thing I can think of is to clean your dies -they could be dirty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gunnut, thanks! Yes they are carbide dies, but I'll clean them! I don't generaly do full power loads, but I did do some using Li'l Gun and the brass were a little snug during extraction from the chamber. This Brass has been loaded several times too. Thought I'd turn them into 41 special brass and buy new for the magnum loads.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It is quite possible to get a lot of soft cases just as it is possible to get a lot of somewhat brittle ones, so I would not rule the cases out. Unless you are using a progressive loader and are cranking them out by thousands I wouldn't think carbide would wear out before you do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like a little lube even with carbide dies (maybe only every 2-3 cases - diluted lube at that) just to save my aching joints. Clean cases may be more likely to gall in carbide dies; a little crud may actually be helpful. So tell me, how clean were your cases? Had you used any lube?
cukrus

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cukrus said:
I like a little lube even with carbide dies (maybe only every 2-3 cases - diluted lube at that) just to save my aching joints. Clean cases may be more likely to gall in carbide dies; a little crud may actually be helpful. So tell me, how clean were your cases? Had you used any lube?
cukrus
cukrus,
No, I don't lube with carbide dies and i only clean them after resizing them. They're only sticking when the expander is being used, I'm gonna clean the expander die recommended by gunnut 45/454. I appreciate your reply, thanks!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
Clean your pistol cases in corncob that's been used for cleaning lube off rifle cases. This gets the crud off and leaves a tiny amount of lube on them. Slicks them up just enough. It probably helps the inside of the necks too.

Resizing revolver cases without cleaning them might be OK, but the cases from my 1911A1 have a ring of bullet lube around the mouth and whatever dirt they pick up after rolling around on the floor. I don't want that stuff in my dies.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
8 Posts
I don't think you can wear out anyone's brand of steel (or carbide) with brass. I would say that if you have allot of grit or dirt on your cases, you could damage the dies as the grit works like sandpaper. Grit could even effect carbide dies. I just make sure the cases don't have junk on them but I don't care how dirty they are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts