Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all new here. took me a while to find a forum with educated rifle owners and hunters alike and i think i found it .Now my question is this."I plan on buying a 460 wby this year and want to put a synthetic ram-line on it .Because it will be in the woods quite a bit or at the range .I don't want to scratch the wood stock that comes with because it cost 800$:eek:. I know that it has about 100 ft lbs of recoil and about 60-50 ft lbs of recoil with the accubrake on with 500 grain bullets 42 ft lbs with 450's .I dont want to put the 460 wby in the ramline and have the receiver come flying out the stock and hitting my in the skull ...Any thoughts would help on this

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can fix wore bluing i cant fix the 800$ stock if i mess her up in the field .I plan on using it alot.I mean at least 130 rds a year in the woods for hunting.I figured id keep the deluxe stock in the safe or somewhere .I want to get a idea of what the ramline will handle ?I dont care if i bang up a 90$ stock

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would think about buying a different rifle with not such a nice stock if these are your plans. I have a $500 stock on one of my rifles, but I can fix it if it get dinged or scratched up.

For some reason a Ram-Line on a Weatherby sounds funny! I'm not a big fan of Weatherby's but If you are dead set on this rifle, I would get an aftermarket stock such as a Richards Microfit, which can be had for $100 and up, but require a little finishing. You can get one of the laminated stocks, sand it smooth bed and float your action/barrel, put a few coats of Tru-oil on it and you're off!

I personally would be using a different rifle and not a show piece for the kind of service you are describing.

My bang up rifle is my custom Ruger 77 MkII. I have a SS Hart barrel with a Houge stock. Not too worried about this rifle and it's **** accurate!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt mean like a bang up rifle as far as i would treat it but more as im going to shoot it alot and i figure the stock would get messed up also i hate monte carlo's

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any one know where i can get a stock made without a cheek piece or monte carlo kinda like a plan style wood stock maybe ?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There's synthetic stocks. . and then there's synthetic stocks. :)
I'd be a little nervous about a 460 Weatherby in a plastic stock like the Ramline.
Now, some of the quality fiberglas or Kevlar stocks from someone like Brown or McMillan, I'd have no worries at all about those holding up.
Another possibility would be a laminated wood stock. I doubt you'd break one of those.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not scared shoot it but i don't like the factory stock i hate cheek piece and monte carlos .
Im trying to find someone who can make astock like this haveing a hard time .yeah i want a fiberglass or carbon fiber im not to trust worthy of a injection molded.Also I like the ramlines compact or short pistol grip kinda like whats found on the ruger m77.All the ones ive seen are elongated .so if you knowanyone who can make one like that in wood or other let me no

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd tend to go with spending the extra loot on a MacMillan or an HS precision or a Brown,it'll help with the recoil better than a cheap stock. A .460 is not something to cheap out on, in any department. Not knocking Ramline or B&C, have some on lighter hunting rifles, and a Macmillan fibregrain on a 7mm-08.
One thing about the dangerous game calibers, if it can be broken, they can break it, rings, scopes, body parts,haven't personally seen a stock go, but, I have no doubt it can be done

·
Registered
199 Posts
SOme good advice on here, me if I really wanted a second stock I'd shop around for a fairly thick laminate stock. Get it properly reinforced with cross bolts etc and see how it goes. At least you should start to see it cracking if it doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There's synthetic stocks. . and then there's synthetic stocks. :)
I'd be a little nervous about a 460 Weatherby in a plastic stock like the Ramline.
Now, some of the quality fiberglas or Kevlar stocks from someone like Brown or McMillan, I'd have no worries at all about those holding up.
Another possibility would be a laminated wood stock. I doubt you'd break one of those.
A 460 WBY in a synthetic stock? Now that's a glutton for punishment.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would order a Richard's Micro fit laminate and you can sand away the monte carlo if you wish. In my experience they require a little more than minor fitting. The one I got looks like they cut it out with a chain saw but the hours of fitting and finishing was well worth it. It is the best looking laminate stock I have ever seen.

I guarantee you won't break it.

Darin

·
Registered
96 Posts
A ramline? On a 460? Really...I mean, REALLY? That is like putting the cheapest bargain bin used tires on a Porsche GT2 and still expecting it to handle like it did from the factory. That gun will likely destroy that stock within a few shots even with the muzzle brake. Ramline are crap stocks, pure and simple, in fact they're a step DOWN from even cheap factory stocks like the Rem ADL or Stevens 200. Pure, absolute, utter trash.

You need to be looking at something like a McMillan or Manners, possibly MPI. If this was a 270 or 30-06 it wouldn't matter, but you're talking about some serious horse power in the 460, you need to match up the quality of the stock to the punishment it'll receive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts