Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my father in law got 4 guns gave to him from a guy who got them at a auction. the guns are a s&w 357 model 19, two colt 357 mkIII's and a ruger 357. all these guns are missing the frames so i was tryin to figureout where i could get new ones. ANY HELP?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,116 Posts
Please don't double post. The frame (receiver) is generally the part with the serial number. Sounds you have a box of parts.

If you can find an old beat-up gun that needs the spare parts you have, that may be the most economical solution.

Note that buying a frame (receiver) is the same as buying the entire gun, in the eyes of the law.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Without the frames, what your father-in-law has are parts with nothing to tie them together. IIRC, frames are serial numbered parts so are treated the same as firearms and are not that easy to come by. Manufacturers prefer to control the assembly of all parts in their own plant due to the hand fitting that goes into the production of a firearm not to mention the liability issue in having this done elsewhere. Perhaps someone with a FFL can get them but I have never heard of this happening. Frame parts, on the other hand, are not serial numbered so are obtainable without having to have a FFL. That limits my knowledge of this subject and I would appreciate anyone correcting me or adding to this subject.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts