Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a man shoots at you, or is charging to stab, club, slash you? Can you hit the 4" brain circle, at, say 6 ft, 3-4x per second with your ccw gun and load? If you can't do so with ear protection, in good light, on a stationary target, how do you expect to do it without ear plugs, on a moving man, in the poor light where most attacks occur? If you are not carrying at least a 9mm (with CorBon's 100 gr jhp) then you are quite likely to need head hits to stop an attacker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Perhaps at 6 ft you shouldnt limit yourself to only your handgun. Dont become so dependent on lethal force that the first response is to draw your handgun and try to shoot someone in the head. Learn some hand to hand, knife, and improvised weapon techniques to create time to judge your situation better. Im pretty good with a handgun, probably way better with martial arts, and in a pintch could probably change someones mind about attacking me with nothing more than a McDonalds straw. Learn more about your enemy than shooting to kill. As it is said, it is better to hurt than maim, maim than kill.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
O.K., I'll bite. Lets hear how the straw defense works. Sounds like an idea from a John LeCarre novel.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Shoot em in the belt buckle and when they slow down shoot again but a few inches lower. If it's a young punk aim for where the belt buckle should be, that's where the crotch will be and you won't have to shoot twice.
:D

Brain shot would be hard to do unless he turned his back on you and even then such a big spot to shoot at holding such a tiny thing as a brain your chances of getting a critical brain shot shooting him in the tush will be less than 50/50. Head shot is a snipers shot not a hand to hand combat shot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you get the straw from McD's, Wendys, Burger King, etc large drink, its rigid enough to easily punch through skin when used as a striking weapon. You just have to strike with the very end of it. You can strike hands, neck, and face which will really change the intent of whoever is trying mess with you. A ball point pen also works great. Within six feet, a person who is visibly trying to raise a handgun at you is well within one big step forward. Controll the hand that is trying to raise the pistol while striking with you hand holding the straw or pen about your foes neck and face.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
And you have to plug the open end with your thumb. Otherwise, you will just get a bent straw and one very pis** off "foe".

You guys must spend a lot of time in hand to hand mall combat ... or else you never have ............

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
"Mall Ninja" or "Armchair Warrior." Some people don't have anything else constructive to do :rolleyes:

Take a week off, ah-ha.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
At 6 feet, you can try to draw and fire but you will find, much to your surprise ah ha, that said theoretical assailant will wipe the floor with you before you can clear your holster.

Step away from the computer and enroll in some sort of self defense classes that do not include you using anything but what you were born with.
Mike, I like Chairborne Ranger

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
6 feet?
this is the time to get on target, get on that trigger, and just "light 'em up". Normally not a fan of four and five round taps, but am more than sure that's exactly what I'd end up doing. At that range, certainly don't have the luxury of one or two shots and a pause.

On the other hand, if you let a guy with a club or knife as close as 6 feet from you without having your gun pre-alinged perhaps you deserve what you get.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
6 feet?
this is the time to get on target, get on that trigger, and just "light 'em up". Normally not a fan of four and five round taps, but am more than sure that's exactly what I'd end up doing. At that range, certainly don't have the luxury of one or two shots and a pause.

On the other hand, if you let a guy with a club or knife as close as 6 feet from you without having your gun pre-alinged perhaps you deserve what you get.

In a public setting it is easy for an attacker to get that close or closer before springing an attack. At that point it is hand to hand. No way to get a CCW out, before contact is made

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I see a very valid point being made here. People spend a lot of money in "shooting schools" to learn to shoot and change magazines really fast. The fact is that many, perhaps most, personal defense situations do involve a physical scuffle and if one is able to draw a gun and fire a shot it is likely to be a contact shot. Accuracy and speed of fire won't be an issue and changing magazines is a joke. One would be far better off to take a course in hand to hand combat. Once the attacker is down you'll have plenty of time to draw a gun and again accuracy will not be an issue. Consider that about half of all cops who are shot get shot with their own gun! Gun fighting does not replace fist fighting, it only augments it.:eek: As a "gunguy" I'd rather not hear that but it is a fact none the less.

·
Registered
120 Posts
All sneers and jeers aside about being an "armchair warrior" or "mall combat", just plain reacting is important. Like said before, if someone has gotten that close with a weapon and you havent noticed some strange behavior to this point you are in trouble. When the threat is finally visible, you need to act and act fast with something in mind to stop them. Even something as simple as stepping in and putting an open hand in their face is going to make them close their eyes and start stepping back. Its super simple, works every time, and buys you space and time to think about your reaction. But whatever, just DO something.

·
Registered
977 Posts
> No way to get a CCW out

imho, That is the main point of a pocket pistol, to have your hand on it and shoot through the pocket of your jacket. I just want time to run or draw another bigger weapon.

Just like when someone asks for the time, my watch goes up to their face before I glance at it and I am ready with a kick if their eyes move.

In Atlanta last year we had a ex-Marine jumped by four people with a shotgun, the shotgun misfired, he used his pocket knife to defend himself. Wounded all four, the only one to die, the woman, was pregnant. You would have thought the advantage would go to four people with a shot gun vs. a single man with an undrawn knife. Training and practice is everything in close quarters.

It is like the which caliper to shoot a deer and shot placement topics. Odds and results depend on conditions and the conditions are never perfect. If they were you could always shot a knife armed bad guy from 100 yards away with an automatic weapon.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm no good what so ever at martial arts except for the small bit of hapkido that I took in HS, Most of that I don't even remember. But I'm more than certain that I've eluded many attacks simply by being alert and over aware of my surroundings. I've seen many "not so friendly" individuals tuck tail and run simply by me noticing that they were there, and changing my posture to signify that I've seen them and I'm ready for something. It's not all about having a gun to control the situation at hand, it's more about body language and simply being alert and aware of your surroundings and the people in the immediate 10 feet around you. With in that 10 radius you don't really have time to draw a ccw, identify your target smartly, calculate collateral damage, if any, and accurately fire. To many variables involved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife has taught me much about being attacked in close quarters. Whenever, I have upset her to the point where a simple argument will never do, she always defaults to throwing things. One of the most destabilizing things that can break and offenders concentration, is the fact that unidentified projectiles keep coming at him.

So if you're at McDonald's, or at some party, don't first think of using your gun, because flying bullets have no names on them. First, just take a quick glance, look for stuff, and start throwing objects at the person as you make your approach.

Once you're within range, hand to hand combat, the martial arts, or just kicking knee caps really hard until you can land on the face is usually effective.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with running outside so you can find a good spot to regroup and plan the next sequence of either defensive or offensive tactics, depending upon the situation.

Guns should be the last resort if one can help it! If not, blast away!

PS.

Knee caps kicked really hard from the front, when they are not flexed or bent, must go into the opposite direction! Just think about that for a moment... OUCH!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Can't remember the football players name anymore but it happened in Texas many moons ago. He was in line at the checkout counter when a gunman tried to hold up the cashier. A can of something went flying through the air, gunman went down, robbery was over. I don't have that kind of arm and never did but throwing objects large or small light or heavy has always been high on my list of expedient self defense actions. Anything to allow you to get to cover or to close with the boogerman so you could hit him with something more substantial, like a gallon of vinegar or a chair. Self Defense isn't about what brand gun or caliber or bullet weight but about attitude. If you refuse to be a victim its hard for the boogerman to make you be a victim.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The head is a moving target and is much more difficult to hit than the pelvis. A shot to the pelvis will put them down pronto and will probable be fatal as well

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Only if you break the bone and that is an even smaller target than the head.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts