Discussion Starter #1
a old neighbor of my 20 years or so ago gave me a artillery shell
that he brought home from the Vietnam war
ive always been curious about it
it is 26 inches tall
4.5 inches diameter
3 5/16 inch mouth dia
has a threaded primer pocket about 1 1/4 inch dia
I can make out the #107 on the bottom and what appears to be the letters AM on it but I'm not sure about the lettering
can anyone id it and tell me a bit about it
thanks

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
The mouth diameter is 84 mm. that should narrow it down a little. My first thought was 105mm Howitzer. They were used a lot in VN ,but its too small.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My guess is a 75mm M309A1 round for the M20 Recoiless Rifle. Smaller version of the M40 RR. Both were VN era weapons. Nasty little sucker!! Guess is based on OD of case neck @ 3 5/16", but not sure how to interpret OP's data.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i believe the case is steel
dimensions are listed in post #1 ( pardon my ignorance if i haven't been clear on them or not understanding what yall are looking for )
yes that tank round on the Wikipedia page looks a lot like it
but that page said it was british/aussie and I'm under the impression it is a usa
thank you all for your assistance

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Did your neighbor say it was US Military? The link states those were used by the Australians in Viet Nam. They were there during the time we were. Might have been a pick up from our allied force.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
I'm visualizing a straight-walled, rimmed case with a rim diameter of 4 1/2" Case length of 26 inches and a neck diameter of 3 5/16".

I have a 'show dummy' of the same dimensions except 24" case length. It's a 'formed metal' one-piece case and projo used for museum tank and field artillery displays. I'll look up the codes on the bottom to see if I can ID it. I've always called it a '90mm tank round'.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see the confusion now.

yes rimmed case but I didn't measure the rim
the 4.5 inch dia is taken about 1/2 way up the case
it isn't a straight wall case
necked down from 4.5 inches to 3 and 5/16 inch mouth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts