Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a sw40f sigma and would like to know if I can shoot cast lead out of it. I know they are a copy of a glock which can not shoot lead do to the barrel rifling. Dose the sigma have the same rifling problem. I am happy for any help I can get thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi I have a sw40f sigma and would like to know if I can shoot cast lead out of it. I know they are a copy of a glock which can not shoot lead do to the barrel rifling. Dose the sigma have the same rifling problem. I am happy for any help I can get thanks!

I think any gun will shoot lead bullets at reasonable veloictys. Will your Sigma feed them? I have had many Glocks over the years and all have had lead ran through them with no adverse affect, but Glock says you will void the warranty. The next question you should ask yourself is is it worth it to use lead in a pistol that may cause it to misfeed due to lead build up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
the polygonal rifling that the glock has shaves lead eventually increasing pressures where case failure happens in unsupported portion of barrel. watched it happen to a fellow shooter luckily no damage to shooter but frame was destroyed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It'll shoot fine, some MFG's void their warrantee when shooting lead out of their products. I can only assue that a good many folks were making hot load with lead and filling in the riflings and such (just a "WAG"). I shoot lead out of MY 40 M&P without issue

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shoot lead in my S&W shield 9mm. Ask the factory man about using lead bullets in it. He said that he shoots cast bullets in his. Local shop had a S&W sale with two factory reps there. He also said the techs could tell what kind of powder you were using if you sent one in for repair. Don't know if that's true or not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sigma 40F

I cast my own bullets from wheel weights and shoot them in my 40F. Never experienced a problem of any kind ; although I am not a high volume shooter. Probably 50-100 rnds per session. Then I give the gun a reasonable cleaning (mostly the barrel). My barrel is conventional rifling.Ammo costs too much these days for me to shoot any other way. accuracy is better too ! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have A S&W Signa 9 VE and ALL I shoot in it is lead. No problems. The S&W has standard type rifling and will handle the lead just fine
I don't shoot only lead out of my Sigma 9 but I do shoot a lot of lead out of it. I'm pretty meticulous about my cleaning and inspections and have never had a problem with either in the Sigma.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts