Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Gee, Jodum - sounds like they are gonna put them in the Army, according to your view! :D

Seriously, hope they get nailed to the wall.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
This is one of the things that happens when guys become obsessed by the size of the rack on the buck they shoot. I'm glad my dad taught me early on that there ain't no good recipe for horn soup, so just harvest a healthy mature animal and be thankful for the Lord's bounty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is one of the things that happens when guys become obsessed by the size of the rack on the buck they shoot. I'm glad my dad taught me early on that there ain't no good recipe for horn soup, so just harvest a healthy mature animal and be thankful for the Lord's bounty.
Yep. I'm a decent enough shooter, having shot competitively for years, but I am no hunter. The shot is the easy part -- getting to where I can take a shot is hard! Hunting is just a skill I haven't mastered. So, on the occasion I have the opportunity to shoot a legal deer I take it! I don't worry about rack size, and if I have an either sex license I shoot either sex. Does are better eating, anyway.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
I shot a nice buck last year and I'm sure glad it's on the wall. But I also cleaned 6 does and supervised my son gutting a 7th.

They all ate good!

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Yep, the family and I took 5 deer last year, 4 of which were does, and even if the packages were not so-labeled, I'm guessing we could still tell when it's part of the buck cooking in the kitchen. On the plus side, we get to enjoy it a might longer, since it's a bit on the chewy side. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Managed to harvest a 215 lb 10 point on opening day of rifle last year and with the exception of the back strap the whole thing was ground into burger with some fat added. This savory meat gets used in sauces and chili.
He resides on my family room wall and his nick-name is nogginhead, appropriately given to him by the skinner.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I'm confused here. Where the heck is the "canned hunt" part of the story?

Canned hunts are behind high fences on very limited acreage not thousands of leased acres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts