Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been wanting to get a rifle in the .204 caliber, the only problem I don't know which gun to go with. I been doing some research but nothing that I have read has really convinced me of what to go with. I want a gun that is pretty accurate out to at least 300 yrds with factory ammo since I don't have the means to come up with a hand load. I am leaning toward the Remington 700 SPS Varmint but I also like the CZ. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Either of your rifle choices are good ones. The CZ line of rifles is under appreciated by most people but they make excellent rifles.

Other good ones are Weatherby Vanguard, Savage, and Howa (Makes the Vanguard barreled action)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Iv decided to buy a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 22-250. They have the heavy barrel and parts are readily available for them (such as triggers and stocks). Many shooters on this forum have shown me that they are quite accurate rifles even without hand loading. I plan on buying mine from Dick's sporting goods. They had them on sale the last time I was there for $499 with scope (although the scope didnt have a brand of any sort on it).

·
Registered
35 Posts
i just bought one in the remington 700 SPS (a .204) last week and its very accurate, shot a water bottle cap at 150 yards once and the second shot was about a half cine meter to the right so i probably pulled, and that was using factory hornady 40grain VMaxx , i would highly recommend it, do keep in mind this gun gets very heavy very fast..lol...so a bipod would be a good addition.

·
Registered
199 Posts
G'day rother_80, a few months back I was having the same trouble trying to decide on a .204.

The CZ 527 is an excellent rifle, with probbaly the best trigger on the market. On the downside, the root of the bolt handle is huge, and scopes generally have to be mounted in high rings to enable the handle to clear the eyepiece. If you are going to mount a scope with a 50mm objective anyway, it probably doesn't matter, but my preference is for a scope mounted lower so you can get a good cheekweld on the stock. Some blokes also remove metal from the root of the handle, but this would certainly weaken it.

I also looked at the Remington 700 SPS, it looks a nice rifle but the synthetic stock looks cheap and it's real flexible. There are two lugs in the foreend which put pressure on the barrel, and I have heard of a few folks who got into trouble when they removed these to float the barrel. The stock is just too flimsy and off a bench or bipod flexes up to touch the barrel anyway. However, if you get one that shoots well the way they are bedded from the factory, I don't think you'd have any trouble at all.

One rifle that you haven't considered which I reckon might be worth a look is the Tikka T3 Varmint, which I think is available now in .204. Tikka's are an excellent quality rifle, and I've yet to see one that won't shoot. Here in Oz they sell them with a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee, don't know about over there. Savage also have a reputation for building quality rifles, and many of there varmint rigs have good Boyd's laminate stocks.

I ended up getting a Ruger M77VT .204. It was cheaper than the Savage and has the good laminate stock. It shot sub minute groups when I was sighting it in and although I've been meaning to shoot more paper with it, I haven't had time. I use 40gn Ballistic tips only and have never had trouble with bad accuracy.

One thing is sure, you won't be disappointed with the .204. I've used mine on everything from cats, foxes and rabbits to dingos and big pigs (when culling out of the ute and spotlighting) and it's just a deadly little cartridge. Plus there's so little recoil you can watch your bullet hit in the scope, especially useful when spotlighting. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts