Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried several searches and have noticed that the search function will not search on single or double letters/numbers.

How do I go about searching for a "Series S" or a "model 44 1/2" for example?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I usually have pretty good luck with the search function. Searching with your key words did not do well.
When I searched for 44 ½ I found this thread.

When I searched for Series S I found your thread on the Savage Model 24 and this thread again.

With each search there were multiple threads which had little to do with the actual search.
I searched for Stevens 44 ½ and Savage Series S and these also had a number of additional threads listed.

There were multiple other threads on Savage rifles with other things mixed in.
I guess the terms are just too general for the search engine.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
First and foremost, perform your search in the most likely forum for what you are looking for. For example, searching for '44 Mag' in the shotgun forum isn't likely to turn up anything. I'm not suggesting that is what happened. I punched in '44 1/2' in several forums, not knowing what that is. I didn't turn up anything meaningful. Punching in '44 1/2' in the handgun forum turns up highlights of '1/2' in threads discussing 9 1/2" barrels.

However, as with William, I've had fairly good success with the search function. Try different search words/numbers, by manufacturer, model #, in the most likely forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I use Firefox. When I search for "Savage model 24 Series S" for example, it discards the "24" and "S" saying they are to short and searches on "Savage", "model" "series". If I search for Stevens Model 44 1/2, it discards the "44" and the "1/2" saying they are too short and searches on "Stevens" and "model".

Actually, here is what it says (cut and pasted)
Search: Key Word(s): savage, model, series
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: 24, s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.