Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anybody here has ever welded a cantilever scope mount on to an 1187 remingion shotgun brl or has herd of it being done. i have a rifiled brl with 1 on it but need to practice and i thought if i can it would be nice to practice shooting trap with a red dot to help with target pick up so come deer season it should be second nature to pull up and shoot a slug at a deer

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Don't beleive you have to weld the mount to the receiver, IIRC, mounts are made to be secured to the left side of the receiver with available screws.

If not, Burris makes a mount that goes between the end of the receiver and the butt stock with a red dot helo sight attached.

·
Registered
175 Posts
your better off either getting an extra barrel or getting a weaver mount that goes on your reciever. i got one on a slug gun and it works fine. but it scratches up the reciever sometimes so i would get a new barrell

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,717 Posts
Did you mean scope mount that starts on the barrel? Yes, I have seen those, and I think they were made by Hastings. Whether these are currently available I don't know. I would contact Hastings as a start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea a cantilever is mounted on the barrel not the recever. i have a rifled barrel that i have a bushnell on now but i an going to change to a red dot and want to set up a shot barrel with screw in chokes(i just picked one up at a swapmeet) but its rifeld sights and was wondering if anybody has ever welded a cantilever to an auto shotgun barrel? sorry i wasnt real clear in the first post. im trying to set up a barrel so its just like my deer barrel but can shoot shot thru it and practice moving targget acqusition. so come deer season its second nature pulling up and haveing the dot where im looking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
remintion used to make them for turkey hunting but there not avalible and i cant find a used one so trying to make one. because thats what you do in a pinch adapt and overcome. rite?

·
Banned
612 Posts
remintion used to make them for turkey hunting but there not avalible and i cant find a used one so trying to make one. because thats what you do in a pinch adapt and overcome. rite?
Yes.

How about bedding it to the receiver to ensure a perfect, stress-free fit? I haven't heard of it being done with cantilever mounts on a shotgun, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I made a cantilever mount for my Ithica 37. I milled a bar to the desired dimensions with Weaver type slots for the rings, and drilled and tapped the barrel's rear sight base with 8-40 threads. I attached the mount there. Works good. I can now swap barrels without losing zero. You could do the same for the Remington. A lot of potential for creativity here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my rear sight is about 4 in too far ahead. im thinking its going to have to be welded on the berral is to thin to get a screw to hold(anything big enuff to hold a scope) im just worryd that welding will warp the chamber.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
my rear sight is about 4 in too far ahead. im thinking its going to have to be welded on the berral is to thin to get a screw to hold(anything big enuff to hold a scope) im just worryd that welding will warp the chamber.
Welding creates a heat affected zone that could be dangerous, and blow the barrel at that point. Cantalevered bases are usually attached with low temp silver solder. You need a silver solder that melts just above the temprature of a bluing tank, and no more than 500 degrees. The reason I said 500 degrees is because 4130 steel is usually drawn [tempered] at 650 to 675 degrees after heat treating.

Most competent Gunsmiths can install one for you. Bomar used to install ribs on shotguns, and might have a mount they can install for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welding creates a heat affected zone that could be dangerous, and blow the barrel at that point. Cantalevered bases are usually attached with low temp silver solder. You need a silver solder that melts just above the temprature of a bluing tank, and no more than 500 degrees. The reason I said 500 degrees is because 4130 steel is usually drawn [tempered] at 650 to 675 degrees after heat treating.

Most competent Gunsmiths can install one for you. Bomar used to install ribs on shotguns, and might have a mount they can install for you.
thank you for the info is Bomar a company? i tryed looking them up and dint fing anything to do with firearms. we dont realy have a gunsmith around here in nw ohio. my gun shop fixes guns (with mostly boughin parts) and refinishes guns but donst do major work. if you know of any1 that i could ship the barrel to i would be gratful. again thanks

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
thank you for the info is Bomar a company? i tryed looking them up and dint fing anything to do with firearms. we dont realy have a gunsmith around here in nw ohio. my gun shop fixes guns (with mostly boughin parts) and refinishes guns but donst do major work. if you know of any1 that i could ship the barrel to i would be gratful. again thanks
It looks like Bo Mar no longer does shotgun ribs and mounts, but mounts are available from Brownells with the recommendation to use force 44 Silver Solder to mount it to the barrel Their price is $49.00. You would need to locate a gunsmith to install it for you, unless you have experience with Low Temp Silver Solder. Your local gun shop may know of a gunsmith close by that they use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts