Shooters Forum banner

Cape Buffalo bullets

19K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  BuffHunter 
#1 ·
I will be going for Cape Buffalo soon and was looking for suggestions as to what bullets I should be loading. I am looking for a solid and expanding bullets that will print close enough to each other for practical hunting ranges that I can use the same point of aim.
Thanks,

Kudu40

#5 ·
The .416 Rigby would work with "Heavy" bullets. However, if I were after Cape Buffalo; I would want something a little more powerful like a .378 Weatherby or .460 Weatherby Mag. Read an article once where it took three shots from a .458 Win. Magnum to drop a Cape Buffalo. Must be tough critters!

#6 ·
I have been looking at a few bullets and I know the reputation of the A-Squares is legendary, but I like the "newer" design of bullets like the Nosler solid. There is evidence indicating the flat tip with wide meplat will resist bullet deflection more than the more traditional round nose of the A-Square. I believe the Nosler solid will work; my doubts lie more with the Nosler partition that I would be pairing it with.
Thanks,

Kudu40

#10 ·
I can certainly understand not wanting to find out the hard way.:D However, that is really the only true test. I would suggest that you buy the types of bullets you have questions about trying and load them up for your rifle. Then using a chronograph and a target placed at the distance you think you would be shooting at, see if the different bullets hit at the same mark at the same velocity. Some people shoot into wet stacks of phonebooks to test bullet penetration and expansion. You can hunt other game to test the bullets too. Hogs or Elk might be a good test too.

#11 ·
Not exactly an answer to your question, but go over to Woodleigh Bullets and check out the "hydrostatically balanced bullet". Very intriguing idea for a penetrator.

#13 ·
I have no experience with Cape buffalo. But my guess is that any name brand solid would be fine and more or less act the same as any other brand. Straight and true through the targets. At least well enough that it wouldn't matter enough to make a huge difference. Regarding expanding bullets I really honestly believe, again, that most name brand bullets would suffice provided they were intended for "tough bullet" use. I seriously doubt that anyone can prove one way or another that one brand is really any better than another. I think your best bet is to see which will shoot the best of of your gun. I seriously doubt that an expensive bullet will perform any better than a cheap one (within reason of course.) Meaning I doubt that a 5 dollar bullet from Woodleigh will do better than a 1 dollar DGX from Hornady (I made the prices up, they're not real prices, just an example to make a point.)

And like Eaglesnester said, check with your Guide. He may at the very least steer you away from bullets that don't perform well if he doesn't have an idea to the best bullet available.

That said, pick the bullets you are the most comfortable with.

#15 ·
What Marius said. I agree that the flat edge of a wide meplat is the way to go. Much more destruction and fantastic penetration. As far as penetration nothing beats these http://beltmountain.com/punch.htm That is insane penetartion. I would build my Buffalo hunt around these bullets as nothing else comes close.

#19 ·
It is best to listen to those that have hunted and killed a dozen of so Cape Buff before you draw any conclusions as to what is what for your .416 Rigby. I like those Swift A Frame bullets for the first shot on buff and then the solid just in case it has to go up the southbound end of the critter. I also like Woodleigh solids. Your best bet is to travel over to Accurate Reloading and get a take on what some of those hunters have used and favor. I know the fellow that runs that sight has shot over 85 Cape Buff or better and wouid be delighted to enlighten you on proper bullets for your Rigby.

I ran a couple of tests several years ago on some old bulls ( Angus cross bred cattle) to try and figure out what was best for my .416 Rem mag and .458-Watts. This is the only real way a fellow lliving in the USA can get the true results. You simply put that bullet through both shoulders of something that weighs 1400 pounds or better. Good Luck!;) :)

#21 ·
I've taken several Mbogo in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzinia. I've taken them with 375 H&H and 300 grain Swift A-frame, with Sledge hammer soldis back. I've taken them with 416's and 400 grains Swift, 400 grain TBBC and 400 grain Dead Tough and solids. I've taken one with a 450 Ackley and one with 470 Capstick and Dead Tough bullets. It does take a very strongly constructed bullet in a soft point and I don't think I'd use a Nosler partition. I've seen those used and its a great bullet but just not for buffalo. The Swift Aframe is strong enough and the old Trophy Bondeds are also. I think the A square Dead Tough is also and their hogmoenous solid is a good mate for that for followup shots. Generally we use a good soft point for the first shot, the round in the pipe and solids for those raking follow up shots when he's either going or coming. I would not want to face one on a close charge with a soft point. I always have a good solid for my second and third shots. My favorite gun is a good 416 for buff. I have designed my own based on the 404 Jeff case. It drives a 400 grain 416 bullet at 2400 fps, my 416 Murphy. I've taken three with it and it will get the job done. I've also taken one big buff in the Caprivi strip with a .423" cartridge based on the 375 Ruger case. It's called the 425 Caprivi. I'ts owned by a PH friend of mine in Namibia.

It's forty and up for big buffalo.

Reactions: MusgraveMan
#22 ·
when I hunt cape buffalo, I use Hornady 400 grain round nose soft point, and the second round is Hornady 400 gr FMJ, which is a stainless steel jacket covered in a GM jacket. 5 shots of each at 100 yards, on bags with a scope print less than 1.5 inches CTC. Both bullets group identical, and would group better but my eyes are old. Scopes are Leupold vx-2 1-4x. both rifles (416 Rem and 416 weatherby) are at max book loads of 4831 IMR. both rifles and loads have killed cape buffalo for me.

the 400 grain soft nose has also killed two grizzlies, 2 moose, 4 whitetails and a few groundhogs.

I've also shot yhe Woodleigh 400 gr .416 Mono-block. Expensive and a fine deep penetrating bullet, it has a long bearing surface. And while it shoots fine, I could not get it to coordinate with a good soft nose.

Over the years I've spend about a half of a safari$$, reloading and looking for coordination between various bullets. The hornadys are as perfect as I've ever seen, so I quit looking, just hunting now.

Again, this just my observation in two rifles, rem 700 custom shop, and weatherby Mark V. Your rrifle or others rifles might be different.

I like the FMJ stainless enough that I bought 4 extra boxes should they discontinue making them.

#23 ·
I don't know anything about shooting brick walls but I sure do understand weather or not the bullet hits it's mark accuracy wise. This is the very first thing to consider for your rifle, if it won't shoot 1.5 inches at 50 yards, try something else.;)

Now for those who don't know or realize, the Cape Buff is the only animal on the planet, with over lapping ribs. So your bullet needs to fly straight and penetrate deeply. I have seen several bullets like the Barns and others, do a bend and travel off course and that you don't want either.:)

#24 ·
Your choice of caliber is an excellent one for buffalo under any conditions. Usually its pretty easy to get the 400 gr. Woodleigh soft and the old conventional solid to shoot together, and I usually load about a gr. less powder in the solid to accomplish the same POI..These solids are fine on buffalo...The only solids in .40 caliber of any kind that I have seen fail were on elephant...

GS Customs make good monolithics HPs and flat nose solids that usually shoot together and they are very effective, but in truth a GS Customs heavy hollow point will penetrate a buffalo full length from any angle in a 416 Rigby, so no need for a solid..I have also observed the heavy Barnes X Hollow point monolithic bullets do the same.

I do recommend a solid for buffalo in a 375 and smaller caliber for straight on and lengthwise shots.

#25 ·
Additionally, as to my above posts, I see a lot of chatter about A-Square Dead Tough bullets...I am under the opinnion that A Square went out of business some time ago..They were certainly good/great bullets with the exception of the Lion Load that should have been tagged a deer load for those that don't like to eat venison! :D

At any rate my supply of 375, 423, and 416 Dead Tough bullets are dwindling and if they are in fact back in business I would like to get some more..Could anyone give me the details of how to contact them such as the address and confirmation..

#26 ·
Remember that Cape Buffalo do have "over lapping ribs" so make sure you have an excellent bullet. I used Swift A Frames for the first shot! Then it is a matter of using a solid, in case it must go by way of the southbound train up through the chest or off shoulder etc.

#27 · (Edited)
Personally, I think that the toughness of the cape buff is a bit over played. I initially used solids (they happened to be Barnes). They punched right through (killed an ox-pecker on the off side--just not his day), but after analyzing the results, I have changed to a Barnes X type bullet. I know that they don't have the original X anymore, that's why I said X type. I'm still using the original X's because I bought a bunch of them, but their newer models are probably even better. I think it is more important to make sure that you have a good shot, are not too distant, and place your shot(s) well. Of course you must use a strong bullet, not a typical lead softnose. Most PH's will be picky and selective about the desirable range and position of the buff; of course shot placement is up to you. Be certain you are up to the task, i.e. practice. While I think a .416 is about perfect, I don't have one and have always had to use a smaller caliber, but that's because I don't have a .416. I guess what I'm saying is don't make more out of it than it is. A good Barnes X type will do the job just great, provided you do your part. No matter the bullet (or caliber), neither will make up for a poorly placed shot.

The first PH I was with said that he didn't allow shots on buff over 75 yards max, but strongly preferred less, indeed he preferred and worked for 50 or less, and never allowed an initial shot at buff after 4:00 PM. I consider that good advice, and whether other PH's enforced such or not, have stuck to it. And lest someone takes me wrong, I'm not saying buff aren't tough guys, just maybeso not quite what they are played up to be. Again, the key is good shot placement--don't get their adrenaline ginning with a poor shot!

Good luck.

#28 ·
there are lots of good bullets for cape buffalo these days..The Nosler partition since they moved the partition forward a little is a fantastic bullet; The GS Custom bullets from So. Africa are exceptional; the North Forks softs and that wonderful cup point the means you can use just one bullet for everything is awesome; I have had exceptionally good luck with the 450 gr. Woodleigh PP or RN, the PP is a tougher bullet than the RN and penetrates best of the two, but the RN is better if your herd hunting in the thick stuff as it stops fully expanded on the off side skin on a broadside shot and you wont end up with two buffalo..The 400 gr. Barnes X bullets are very good indeed on Buffalo.

Today there are so many good options, and bullet failure is almost a thing of the past. I would suggest sticking to 400 and 450 gr. bullets in the .416 and shoot them at about 2400 FPS.

#29 · (Edited)
416/284

I have not hunted Cape Buffalo but just about every other animal in Africa. I lived there and have been a party on cape buffalo hunts. I have returned twice on hunts and hope to again soon as I still have family and friends there. If I get to hunt buffalo I will use my 416/284 McPherson in Savage M99 EG. I will use a 350gr Barnes Solid at over 2400fps and a 400gr AGST or Hornady Solid at over 2200fps. Believe it will get the job done. It is superior to the the 9.3x62 and. equal to 9.3x64 many have used on Cape Buffalo. The Savage action is rock solid and able to withstand psi that would shatter most levers 65,000. Good luck!!

#30 ·
This is an old thread. but interesting

I like the 416/284 McPherson in Savage M99 and its cousin the 375/284 in lever guns...lots of shoulder.

Doubt I'd use the 350 barnes X bullet on anything big. It is all copper and is therefore very soft..even softer than the gilding metal jacket on most bullets. It will distort on impact and then 'surf' into the animal. on dangerous game you want a bullet that stays 'on course' to get to the vital organs.

Using a box/rotary magazine limits your bullet/case oal; so using a long copper style bullet, like the X, will limit the case powder space. also you are giving up bullet weight, 12% less than a 400 gr FMJ.

My reloads using the Speer Mag Tip 350 grain have made great one shot kills on cape buf. I load them for people that are having a recoil problem in Weatherby 416 rifles. they travel true in the animal, and I've witnessed the results.

The 9,3x62 has about the same capacity of powder as the 416/284, and in a bolt gun would have a better overall length and more powder cap than the other in a 99 lever. It would have more energy than the 416-284..doubt the 416-284 would be 'far superior'.

Just some thoughts

I'm sure a 303 brit would kill a cape buffalo...but it would take time.

#45 ·
This is an old thread. but interesting

I'm sure a 303 brit would kill a cape buffalo...but it would take time.
My only Cape buffalo I shot was with a 30-06 Sako 220 gr Hammerhead from about 50 yards, low behind the left shoulder just as he put his leg forward. I just sat down immediately and he went the usual 50 yards and died.

It is more satisfying however to be present in his face for a shot between the nostrils from 25 yards while he looks you in the eye.

#31 · (Edited)
Based on what

I based my numbers for 9.3x62 by what Big 5 posted 286gr at 2520 and 300gr at 2400. Based on those numbers the 416/284 is superior. There is no reduction in powder my numbers speak to that. The M99 will accept a round Col of 2.915 anyway and mine was modified to accept even longer Col but its not needed as Col of 416/284 averages around 2.830. If someone had one and handloaded it for it as I do that would already know that.

9.3X62 may almost have the case capacity of 284 when opened up to accept 416 bullet but it does not have the same and will not drive a bullet as fast,IT CAN'T.

But your expert advice taken on Barnes X. Thanks

Oh I changed far superior to just superior thanks.

#32 ·
The 9,3x62 is an old cartridge, and in a 100 year old rifle I'd not hotrod it. But in a modern rifle, I have no problem getting 2500+ fps with a 286/285gr bullet. The Norma factory rounds are similar. Never shot a 185gr in a 9,3 could that have been a typo?

Wildcat loads are often chrono-ed at higher velocities, as there are no pressure standards.

I'll agree that the 9.3 and your 416 are 'about equal' except for the bullet diameter and weight.

Go Nittany Lions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.