Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to purchase a pieta 1858 new army .44 cal. at Cabela's in a few days and was curious about how y'all like to load your revolvers. I've heard of a number of ways to go about loading, like 'use no patch and just put some lubricant in each chamber after loading' and 'patch goes between the ball and powder' and ' patch goes on top of the ball after loading.' I understand that if you load it wrong, a chainfire can cause your gun to blow up. Also, what is your preferred caliber (round ball) to shoot out of a .44?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never used pads or wads, but did use filler for target loads. Always put lube on the front.
Ball size depends on hole in cylinder. Mine likes 451 but my buddy's liked 454. They should be a snug fit, not simple fall in.
I never had chain fire, but heard of some that did. With such pressure needed to seat bullet, the metal seal is so great that I could never believe that was the cause. I think most chain fires come from cap flash lighting adjacent caps.
My 15/25 yard pet load is ~12gr FFF (use empty 9mm case as dipper works well) I file front sight for center hold on both. Best 1-handed target was 1-5/8" at 25 yards.
50 yard load is ~18gr FFF (use empty 40 SW case as dipper) With above modified sight, hits 2" high.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I never used pads or wads, but did use filler for target loads. Always put lube on the front.
Ball size depends on hole in cylinder. Mine likes 451 but my buddy's liked 454. They should be a snug fit, not simple fall in.
I never had chain fire, but heard of some that did. With such pressure needed to seat bullet, the metal seal is so great that I could never believe that was the cause. I think most chain fires come from cap flash lighting adjacent caps.
My 15/25 yard pet load is ~12gr FFF (use empty 9mm case as dipper works well) I file front sight for center hold on both. Best 1-handed target was 1-5/8" at 25 yards.
50 yard load is ~18gr FFF (use empty 40 SW case as dipper) With above modified sight, hits 2" high.
Right on, good fit and any chain fire is from the rear. Some guns have large holes in the nipples and the flame and pressure can reach another cap, get under it and fire that chamber.
Ball must be on the powder with a little compression, no wads or patches but if you load light, filler is needed, I use corn meal. Some use a lubed wad to fill and OK. No air space.
I found a thicker BPCR lube is best over the ball because it does not blow away like Crisco. The lube is to soften fouling in the bore and allow the ball to push it out.
The Remington has a small cylinder so the next chamber is close to gap pressure but a good fit and lube will never chain fire but it will ruin the nose of a bullet so a ball is best.
If you ever get a chain fire, buy better nipples. Use Remington or Federal caps, They are softer and do not stick on the nipples when fired.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts