Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been playing w/ a nice old ITALIAN VETTERLI M1870/87/16. I had it checked out by a gun smith that I regularly work w/. He said that it was safe to work up some lighter loads.

This is the 6.5x52 conversion model of WW1 w/ a .268 bore and rifling gain. I have tried .264 jacked rounds and now working on some .266 cast rounds from Beartooth Bullets.

W/ a good bit of reading and loading data from those who have gone before on this old rifle, no matter what I've tried, light or higher loads always pop out the primer about 1/3 of the way from the casing - even on brand new brass. From low to mid range loads the primers will show no other sign of pressure. On the few higher loads I tried, the primers started to show typical flattening but w/ the typical 1/3 of the way out of the casing.

Recently did some reading on Hornady's .268 loading specs. W/ their .268 rounds, they recommend LR Mag primers. Could mag primers possible help the recurring issue or is it possibly a bolt / action issue?

While I'm mildly tempted to try the original caliber, I'm not really interested in putting the old girl to a maximum testing - especially until I have these other round shooting properly. Firing this old gun is for SAFE fun. I will be very pleased if I can get any of the rounds to ring the steel plate at 100yrd.

Suggestion on where to start back tracking? Thanks!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,127 Posts
Sounds like a head spacing problem to me..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May have figured it out....

The PRVI brass that I was using has a thinner base extractor plate to the case than does the Norma brand.

Also, from other reading with the riffling gain of this LONG barrel, uses of the magnum primers should help better balance the burn and back pressure.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts