Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a rookie question, especially for a man who has been cleaning firearms for the last 45 years. I have cleaned the bore of this .444 marlin according to Marshall's technical guide, and I have to say the bore has come out very clean. Now to the action. Turning the rifle upside down I sprayed evertihing with a good degreaser and was supprised at the amount of crap that came out. Maybe I shouldn't have been because I know for a fact that this rifle hasn't been cleaned for the last twenty years. I don't like using oils on complex moving parts because I've found that the dirt and dust, sticks to the oil and turns gummy and dry lubs just don't seem to work to my standards. I just returned from an antelople hunt in Wyoming and everthing I brought back including my rifle is full of red dirt. Not too bad for a bolt gun, but a lever has a lot more moving parts. So my question is. What is the best method for lubricating the action, bolt and trigger on this rifle? I have used lighter fluid to clean and lubricate triggers, but this mechanism is gonna need more than a light fluid.

Godspeed

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sneakfoot, there are plenty of good products on the market for lubing your Marlin. I use BreakFree CLP, but there are probably 10 others that would work as well.

I use Gunscrubber or some such about once a year on my hunting leverguns, blast 'em out real good, and then, using the nozzle that comes with the aeorosol CLP, just judiciously spray a bit inside the action and work it a few times. Under normal circumstances, that's about it for the next year. The CLP won't gum up even at very low temps, and it seems to have no particular affinity for attracting dirt.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
There are some 'dry' lubes in aerosol cans. Rem-Dri is, or was, one of them. Not sure if it's still on the market. They are probably all the same thing. The carrier evaporates and leaves teflon or whatever else is in the lube.

I've had good luck giving parts a very light wipedown with Break-Free, but it doesn't sound like I have quite as much dirt to wade through as you do.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
i would also suggest the CLP. its what we use in the military(its an acronym for Cleaner Lubricant Protectant). i usualy swindle, i mean acquire it in gallon jugs and use patches and medicine syringes to get it where i need it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I know this is a rookie question, especially for a man who has been cleaning firearms for the last 45 years. I have cleaned the bore of this .444 marlin according to Marshall's technical guide, and I have to say the bore has come out very clean. Now to the action. Turning the rifle upside down I sprayed evertihing with a good degreaser and was supprised at the amount of crap that came out. Maybe I shouldn't have been because I know for a fact that this rifle hasn't been cleaned for the last twenty years. I don't like using oils on complex moving parts because I've found that the dirt and dust, sticks to the oil and turns gummy and dry lubs just don't seem to work to my standards. I just returned from an antelople hunt in Wyoming and everthing I brought back including my rifle is full of red dirt. Not too bad for a bolt gun, but a lever has a lot more moving parts. So my question is. What is the best method for lubricating the action, bolt and trigger on this rifle? I have used lighter fluid to clean and lubricate triggers, but this mechanism is gonna need more than a light fluid.

Godspeed
Take it apart and clean it . Then lube the high friction / pressure points with grease . Gun oil on the rest of the metal .

Pay close attention to the way the little ejector comes out and goes back in ( looks kind of like a wish bone ) .

Oil the outside of the metal , wax the wood . Might even wish to wax the metal , instead ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sneakfoot, there are plenty of good products on the market for lubing your Marlin. I use BreakFree CLP, but there are probably 10 others that would work as well.

I use Gunscrubber or some such about once a year on my hunting leverguns, blast 'em out real good, and then, using the nozzle that comes with the aeorosol CLP, just judiciously spray a bit inside the action and work it a few times. Under normal circumstances, that's about it for the next year. The CLP won't gum up even at very low temps, and it seems to have no particular affinity for attracting dirt.
Just to add a tad to what pisgah said...

I use CLP or m-pro 7 or Hoppe's Elite... I want to try Gun Butter but never have.

They all work well on / in my Marlin XLR. I do clean every 2-3 months, shoot or not

1 - 7 of 7 Posts