Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
A friend of mine shot one. They aren't all that big; think he used Ballistic Tips of all things. Not what I would have recommended in a .270 but it worked.

I'll ask him again next time I see him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
having lived in Alaska for 50+ years and killed many Caribou with a 270, I feel qualified to answer your question. I have also killed many moose with the 270. I always used 130 grain nosler partition bullets. I had nothing but one shot kills and killed them from 100-500 yards. The 270 with nosler bullets is a killing machine. Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went on my first caribou hunt in Quebec in 2007. My outfitter encouraged me to use my .270. Shot Remington 150 grain express core lokt . Both bulls fell where they were with one shot for each. Know you will have a good time. It is great hunt.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
You'll do fine with the 270 with good 130-150 gr bullets. I'm partial to the Nosler partition, but Speer Grand Slam or Hornady Interlock - and a host of others - will do well.

I went to N Quebec in 2008 after caribou and took my Browning A-bolt in 338 Win Mag. Plenty enough gun for caribou, but I chose it because I was very familiar with it, and, it is stainless & synthetic stock. Kind of wished I'd taken my only other stainless/synthetic, a Steyr 7mm-08.

Work up a good accurate load in your 270, or use an accurate factory load, and don't look back! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Shawn, I saw your pics of your hunt and I can't wait till September hunt. I also will be using an A-Bolt with 270 and it's also stainless/synthetic. Is there anything else that I should be aware of or to take that fits under the 70 pound limit? Were the Black flies bad?? Was thinking of taking a thermal cell bug replent but don't think the small fuel cell will pass for the plane trip.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
SGM,
We had a late Sept hunt and no flies what-so-ever. That could sure be different year-to-year and if early Sept, could be some flies. If you're on a lake for your hunt, you'll likely get some bow spray from the boat, along with some wet weather anyway, wherever you are. Doubt you can get any gun oil through TSA, but one of the guys had some individually packaged gun wipes that came in handy, and several of us made use of one wipe for several guns.

Fishing pole? I took one and fished, but didn't hook any pike. Others did, and it passed some enjoyable time. Take some magazines or books. If you tag out early, or the weather is bad, you'll keep your sanity. Other than that, good quality clothes/boots/gloves/hats to keep you comfortable. If you like to have a drink, pack some power/weight-type booze as weight is $$. A case of beer in camp was $80...if it was available. Take a camera for sure. If you're pushing your luggage weight limit, wear some extra clothes on the Montreal-to-Kujuaaq leg. They weighed our bags (including your rifle/case) at the Montreal hotel. Take some earplugs. You may use them for OTHER people snoring, but I found them useful so that I couldn't hear the others yelling at me for MY snoring!!

One thing our crew did was spend two nights in Montreal on the way up to make sure our luggage/rifles made it, and allowed us to see some of Montreal, which was fun. Just something to consider.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info from the group, my son and I look forward to the hunt. All I need to do now is shoot, shoot, and shoot. If the big C comes out at the 1 mile mark I'm going to try my best just like Artillery fire. My son will act as the forward observer, fire for effect!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.