Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
You'll do fine with the 270 with good 130-150 gr bullets. I'm partial to the Nosler partition, but Speer Grand Slam or Hornady Interlock - and a host of others - will do well.

I went to N Quebec in 2008 after caribou and took my Browning A-bolt in 338 Win Mag. Plenty enough gun for caribou, but I chose it because I was very familiar with it, and, it is stainless & synthetic stock. Kind of wished I'd taken my only other stainless/synthetic, a Steyr 7mm-08.

Work up a good accurate load in your 270, or use an accurate factory load, and don't look back! Good luck!

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
SGM,
We had a late Sept hunt and no flies what-so-ever. That could sure be different year-to-year and if early Sept, could be some flies. If you're on a lake for your hunt, you'll likely get some bow spray from the boat, along with some wet weather anyway, wherever you are. Doubt you can get any gun oil through TSA, but one of the guys had some individually packaged gun wipes that came in handy, and several of us made use of one wipe for several guns.

Fishing pole? I took one and fished, but didn't hook any pike. Others did, and it passed some enjoyable time. Take some magazines or books. If you tag out early, or the weather is bad, you'll keep your sanity. Other than that, good quality clothes/boots/gloves/hats to keep you comfortable. If you like to have a drink, pack some power/weight-type booze as weight is $$. A case of beer in camp was $80...if it was available. Take a camera for sure. If you're pushing your luggage weight limit, wear some extra clothes on the Montreal-to-Kujuaaq leg. They weighed our bags (including your rifle/case) at the Montreal hotel. Take some earplugs. You may use them for OTHER people snoring, but I found them useful so that I couldn't hear the others yelling at me for MY snoring!!

One thing our crew did was spend two nights in Montreal on the way up to make sure our luggage/rifles made it, and allowed us to see some of Montreal, which was fun. Just something to consider.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.