Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we'll be going caribou hunting this August! Have a friend up in Alaska taking care of the important details (like arranging the bush flight) but there are still some loose ends I need to tie up.

- We'll be flying out of Willow. What's the best way to get up there from Anchorage? (Our flight will be getting in around 10:00 AM)?

- Are their any meat processing facilities in Willow? Any taxidermists? Or is it better to pack and ship the meet yourself?

- Any hotels to spend a night in up there? (We'll have one extra day after flying out to spend).

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these will get me started!

Thanks,
Chris Ebert

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Willow is on the Parks highway, about 1.5 - 2 hours north of Anchorage. You may be able to talk the flight service you are using to arrange some travel arrangements by car from Anchorage to Willow. It would be real expensive to rent a car and leave it there all week, as would hiring a taxi for that. There are some shuttle services between Anchorage and Talkeetna, and you may be able to schedule a trip on one of them.

I don't know if there are any processing places in Willow or not. I would bet there are, since there is so much salmon fishing around there. You may want to talk to your flight service as they know that area really well, I'm sure they live there or in Houston or Talkeetna. I would process the meat yourself and pack in some wet boxes to fly out with you. Its a standard thing that happens with a lot of fishermen and hunters up here, so most airlines do expect it.

Talkeetna is not too far from Willow, and there are a couple of hotels and inns there. Again, I would rely heavily on the flight service you are using for good recommendations. I've stayed in the CIRI Talkeetna Lodge before and it is really nice, expensive though. I've also spent a night in the Latitude 61 inn. It's kind of a bush Alaskan inn and has a lot of character. Much cheaper than the Princess Talkeetna Lodge, but not as many amenities.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll be flying Willow Air, so I'll call them up and ask lots of questions. It just helps to be pointed in the right direction, how to phrase things, etc.

Barely one month to go - we can hardly wait!

Thanks,
Chris Ebert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts