Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the caribou hunting like in unit 19-C? I'm planning a trip there in August.

Thanks,
Chris Ebert

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
19C is over around the Revelation Mountains (southern Alaska Range) and is well known for big bears, monster moose and some whopper sheep. I'm not sure about caribou east of 19A or north of 19B. 19A and B are really good bets, though. Caribou can be hit and miss depending on a bunch of factors (some of which only are known to the caribou). If I were going after caribou in that area, I'd really try to go a little farther west, but that is just me. Tony Dingess of Revelation Mountain outfitters, http://www.alaskahunts.net/macro/page2.htm probably has as good, or better, handle on the situation over there as anybody. He's a good guy to talk to and really knows his stuff.

19C really has some monster moose, though, if you have the opportunity.

This GMU is one of the most incredible of all of Alaska, no doubt about it.

Do you live in AK? Hiring a guide?

Whatever you do, you should have an incredible hunt in some of the most fantastic country on the face of the earth. There is quite a lot of private land in the area, make sure you check into that before finalizing your hunt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll be going with another hunter who's hunted Alaska before. This is an area he's familiar with. Current plan is to fly into a lake and hike in 7-8 miles to a valley and set up a spike camp there. I've already started working up my caribou loads and am walking a bit every evening with a backpack!

Thanks for the help!

Chris Ebert

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
It is amazing country. Be prepared for wet and buggy conditions. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great hunt. Give us a report when you get back, if possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts