Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right area for this question but here goes.

I read in this and other forums about the need for small concealable carry guns.
I would like to know who carries these guns? (Not law enforcement or other occupations that put you in contact with wrong-doers).
If not in the above catagory, do you have a carry permit?
Where do you live?
What has happened to you that makes you feel the need for personal deadly force self defense?
Have you ever used your carry gun?

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to put anyone down. I'm just curious.

I have never felt the need for a self defense weapon since the race riots of the late sixties, and then it was a single barrel .410 under the pickup seat.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have had a concealed weapons permit for the States I lived in, don't have one for Alabama yet. The permit is not so I can carry everywhere I go, its more protection for me legally when traveling to the range, hunting and general shooting. I live on a military base, where concealed permits are meaningless anyway.
I do prefer to have a handgun in the car when I travel, not for when I drive but for when I stop, rest stop, Motel, etc.
I have never carried a small gun when I do carry. Usually I carry my Hi-Power, covered with a shirt or jacket.
I have never had anything happen to me to make me feel like I need to carry, but strange rest stops at 3am are a little worrying.

Andy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I will probably get my carry permit after hunting season. It makes having weapons in possesion in my state a lot simpler. If you don't have one the laws ar vaige at best. I like to have a weapon on me when scouting in unfamiliar areas and in the truck or car on trips, especially at night.

I would like to think I could help out in a bad situation should it arise and I know because I have had my holster on in view I have altered the attitude of folks that are tresspasing or nosy neighbors that think they own their space as well as some of yours.

I have found it comforting when dogs show a little too much spunk and under my pillow in an unfamiliar camping area. I usually carry my .32 acp. just because it is so comfortable.

·
Banned
555 Posts
i have a ccdw, i carry a 629-5, 3" bbl. on the streets i have it loaded with 240 silver tip hollowpoints. in the woods heavy 240 gn swc's. iv'e had 2 spinal fusion surgeries, 3 fused vertebrae. i have been seriously threatened by 5 punks in front of my house more than once. several times while i was walking with a cane. it took me about i hour to walk about 3/4 city block. two of these punks ( brothers ) both were in high school, and wore police monitoring anklets.
i finally went to the sheriff out of fear for my safety. IF i had been threatened by any or all of these puke pots, before the spinal injury there would have been some seriously, seriously injured punks. i have worked as a towboat deckhand, and other roughneck jobs too long, to put up with this kind of krap, out of punks! i shoot to kill. 2 legged varmints as well.
the sheriff said he could not help, unless the punks actually assaulted me. then i said i WILL take care of me and mine! he told me not to do anything stupid, i said i allready had, i came to you. that day i started carrying. and got my permit as soon as possible.
two surgeries, 9 months of physical therapy, tremendous pain to deal with, i am fortunate to be able to walk like an orangatan, almost human. i can not afford to go hand to hand anymore.
as a side note the police pulled several bullets from a friend's house, a drive by shooting, by these guys. and they are still on the streets. does anyone else smell a rat?

·
Banned
555 Posts
Jack Monteith, how are you sir? crushed vertebrae, OUCH, back at ya.
im in ky, the winters are cold and humid, i say cold, usually only down in the low single digits, unless you folk send an air blast down this way.i know what the weather is doing better than the weatherman does.
i can only imagine how the weather up there affects your back. how humid is it in your neck of the woods?
take care of yourself. john

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a CCW permit for Indiana. I often carry a weapon not out of fear but simply because I can. I am 6' and 250 lb, spent seven years in the Marines ( I am really a nice likeable christian guy ). I don't really want to hurt anyone. I was surprised at the number of people in the Southern In and Kentucky region that carry guns.

I don't feel threatened as a rule and the area we live in is very low crime. A 45 Springfield Armory ultra compact is a good security blanket.

The pictures of Lubby's in Texas or the Mc donalds in CA all shot up drive home a point - be prepared.

Grew up in Western NY and have a CCw permit for that state also. Had it for 28 years. It is valid still if I move back I believe.

·
Banned
378 Posts
I have my carry permit. I will not stand by and be a victim. There are a lot of people out there up to no good. I am 6'00" and 240lb. I have 7 years of martial arts under my belt, but all that is no good if someone has a gun. Also it is my second amendment right to bare arms. If I did not need a carry permit I would carry anyways.

FACE A JURY OF 12 OR BE CARRIED BY 6. I'LL FACT THE JURY!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Old Jim
I CCW all the time- haven't had to use my firearm yet-hope I never do, but if the situation ever arises where I need to it's nice to know I can and will defend myself and loved one's . It my right to be able to and I exersise my right to carry. Since I now reside in a state that respects my right to carry(ID) I do.
I grow -up in Western NY where it took a act of god to get a pistol permit(Major sucking up to a judge/sheriff ) so when I joined the military I've been fortunate to live in states that respect my right to carry Except Kalifornia!! I'm glad for you that you still live in an area that is safe enough not to have to worry about your safety- unfortunately most military bases are not in the nicest parts of towns/states. And now we are targets of terrorist in our own country. Didn't have to worry about that ten years ago- just when you lived over seas. I refuse to be a target-an easy one that is. I will be vilgilant and preemptive in that sense I've lost to many friends/co workers to terrorist bombings/killings over the years over seas not to be.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I should add that I would much rather tell someone about salvation through Jesus than shoot them. I carry a bible as often as I do a gun. I realize they would not hear the message of the bible but they will always pay attention to the gun if they are up to no good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Keep 'em coming.
What I'm hearing so far is that most of you carry because you happen to live somewhere where the permits are easy and you carry "just in case" and not out of fear for your life?
The majority have not had any confrontation that would make carrying a necessity?

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Carry weapon...

The only time I carry is when I'm on vacation in Vermont. Their gun laws read pretty much as "don't commit a crime with a gun and you can carry", resident or not, concealed or not.

We [my family] camp during our vacations, and alot of times it's remote. I carried for the bears, which used to routinely trash my campsite, even though I followed the bearproofing rules (yea, right):mad: I wrote it off as bad luck the second time, but having a 7 year old (= bear snack), I chose to have protection close. It used to be a stainless Security-Six 2 3/4" .357magnum, but it got heavy and was more for piece of mind.

I've switched to a Sig 245 compact 45 auto loaded with +P's, only cause it's lighter and easier to use for me. I just throw another magazine in my pocket for 2 leggers. Now I'm not trying to make this a "which is the best bear bullet thread", but I figure 6+ rounds of .45+P are better than none at all.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Old Jim, I don't know what your fishing for. Kind of sounds like you are anti-carry. To put it blunt, it is no ones business why I chose to carry a concealed weapon. Its not a matter of fear but a matter of being prepared. :D

·
Banned
32 Posts
Thanks to some pretty stupid things my daughter did, she and I both have been threatened by drug dealers. I talked to the cops and they said I should pay them off. Since the lawyer got to the money first, it was cheaper to get a gun and a permit.

I have a Michigan CCW and carry an XD-40 all day, every day with the reality that I may need to use at any given moment.
But even without the threats, I was going to get a permit once Michigan became a "shall issue" state.

I also have years of martial arts training that I can't use effectively due to a roofing accident and a heart attack. Life sucks sometimes and you just have to make the best of it.
And I believe that everyone has the right to lethal self defense if necessary.

Hey Halfbreed, I used to live in Marion, Ky. if you know where that is. Beautiful country, I sure do miss it, especially this time of year.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
It is not possible to get a carry permit where I live. The law states that if you have a reason to believe it to be prudent to carry, you can. Based on the fact that the city I live in requires handgun registration (not a purchase permit, but actual registration before you can take possession of the weapon after you've bought it), I don't think it would be that terribly easy to justify carrying. That said, I travel a lot for work and have to work in undesirable areas. I carry a 5 shot 38 with Cor-Bons in it almost every day, otherwise it's in the console. I realize that a .38 isn't the best man stopper, but if I need to use it it's going to be up close and a .38 to the face or five to the chest will likely get it done. Legal or otherwise, a gun is something you may never need, but if you NEED it, you're gonna need it really badly. I hope to never have to use it, but I'd sure be happy it's there if I have to.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Extreme Duty, hello,marion is a nice place, a small menanite community there to check out. a friend of mine used to live in old salem. lots of long range deer hunting there on the dairy farms.
life does'nt suck, it's all the stuff that happens that we can't control. hopefully the daughter is aware of what is going on, and maybe has learned something very valuable.
wish you both the very best with this problem.
KciH, dude, a shot to the face is considered MURDER. six to the chest meant you tried to stop the attack! like many others have said , hope i don't need it, but if i do, it will be there.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
I have serious concerns about carrying a concealed weapon, but do so during our six winter months in Florida. All you have to do is read the paper every day to become convinced that you are at risk, particularly if you're old (I am). The thought of car-jacking or other confrontations with my wife involved is something I need to be able to prevent if I can, and I'm sure not going to outrun them or out punch them any more. I conspicuously stay away from problem areas and don't wear "enticing" ordaments, but it isn't always that simple. Single action target shooting is my typical practice style, however I've begun to practice double action at 7 yds. and 10 yds. with the 4" S&W. I can't keep up with the semiautomatics and their double taps, but most of the time I can place five shots better than they can and only take several more seconds to do it. I know, a lot happens in several seconds, but I also know that you have to hit the target.

Anyway, sincerely feel uncomfortable with the CCW but unsafe without it.

As a side note, I've often thought that if we could carry weapons like the Old West, we'd have a lot less crime?

Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a concealed weapon permit. I generally carry a NAA 22mag everywhere I go. If I am traveling or going to a bad area of town late in the evening, I might carry a Llama Mini Max 45ACP or a snub nose 357. Here is the story that prompted me to carry a concealed weapon most of the time. A little over 10 years ago I was on my way to hunt squirrels and had a 12GA shotgun with a 24 in. barrel for that purpose in the car, unloaded of course. It just so happened that I had just purchased a Ruger 9mm semi-auto a couple of weeks before and had not yet had a chance to fire it. Sort of as an after thought on the way out the door I stuck the 9mm and a couple of 15 round clips in my day pack. I thought at lunch time I might set up a couple of targets and test fire the new gun. I stopped at a local convenience store at about 5:00 AM to fill my thermos with coffee and pick up a couple of snacks. I always try to be very aware of my surroundings as I have nearly always lived in inner city neighborhoods since I left home. My dad raised a cautious child. This particular morning all that caution and the chance happening of having the 9mm paid off. As I pulled up to the store and parked in front, I noticed that there was only one other vehicle in the parking lot. Inside the old pick-up truck with its engine running there were 2 rather rugged looking "gentlemen" who were staring me down with wild eyed looks that said to me that they were probably wired on speed or something. I glanced into the store and noticed that there was only one person inside besides the young female store clerk. This was also an equally rugged looking individual with an equally wild eyed look. As I sat in my car with the engine still running I tried to assess this situation. I watched the man in the store. He was not browsing and he was not checking out. He was standing next to the counter about 10 feet away from the cashier just staring at her and now at me. She was standing next to the register and seemed nervous. The guys in the truck just kept looking anxiously inside the store then back at me. I pretended to be fumbling with stuff in my car while I considered whether I should get out of my car or not. There was something way out of place here. I did not feel comfortable about getting out of my car, but as the seconds stretched to minutes, I definitely felt that if I were to drive off, these guys might rob the girl and/or worse. I sat in the car several minutes hoping just my presence would cause the guys to leave, but they were not leaving. They just cast increasingly menacing looks my way. Then I remembered the 9mm in my pack. I turned off the engine and got out and went to the back of my stationwagon and lifted the hatch. I retrieve my thermos and at the same time I slipped a mag into the 9mm, racked the slide to chamber a round and then lifted the gun out of the car and slipped it into my right coat pocket which fortunately was blocked from the line of sight of all three gentlemen. With my thermos in my left hand and my right hand in my right coat pocket I walked into the store and over to the coffee area In this position I was behind the man inside the store and he was standing between me and the store clerk and off to the left side. Other than exchanging hellos, none of us were talking. He turned side ways so that he could see what I was doing and watch the clerk at the same time. I stood there for maybe 2 minutes while this guy with the drugged out look nervously shifted his gaze between me and the store clerk. It seemed like an eternity to me. Finally the guy bolted from the store and jumped into the waiting truck and they sped away. I started talking to the clerk. She said that was the 3rd time the same guy had come in the store in the last hour. He never bought anything. He just stood around waiting for other customers to leave, and then would finally leave himself. She said she was scared to death. I told her I thought that she had good reason to be and that she should close the store immediately because the 3 might come back. She got on the phone and called a male family member to come to the store and locked the door until they arrived. I am certain that if I had left and no other traffic appeared, they would have robbed and/or hurt that girl. If I had not had a weapon and the knowledge of how to use it I would have only been giving them another potential victim by walking into the store and possibly causing my wife to become a widow and my 3 small children to become orphans. All this stuff passed through my mind in the minutes I was sitting in the car trying to decide what to do. Had I retrieved the shotgun, a passerby could have mistaken me for a robber or I could have touched off a gunfight because these 3 may have felt it was kill or be killed at that point. Because I had a weapon that would fit into a hunting coat pocket, I was able to intervene without seeming overtly aggressive, but with the confidence that if pushed to it, I could defend my life and the life of that young clerk. Thank God things turned out the way they did. I believe the Lord impressed me to bring that 9mm along that morning, even though I did not forsee the real reason before I left the house. This is one preacher that is thankful for the right to carry concealed weapons. There is also one store clerk very thankful to be alive, although she never knew I had the gun in my pocket. As far as I am concerned, all the expense and hassle of carrying a weapon responsibly is worth it if I could save just one life by doing so.

·
Banned
555 Posts
About twenty years ago my mom and me went to the local bus stop to pick up my dad, coming home from a funeral in Mi.,i was only 18 i think, naturally the bus was running late. and if you ever noticed, bus stations are never in the good part of towns. Not even in small towns.
As i checked on the bus schedule, my mom stayed in the van, as i walked back and forth,checking on the schedule, this one street hoodlum about mid 40's, walked up to my mom and started getting rude with her, to put it lightly. as i walked up behind him and slipped a .38 behind his ear, without him ever knowing i was there, UNTIL i pulled the hammer back, i asked this man one question. if he had made peace with GOD, as he was about to meet him.
Just a little secret, i like to play poker, very few of my friends can tell if i am bluffing.
most have learned not to try calling my bluff. this man almost died that day. mess with me and we will talk about it. mess with my family and it's all over except someone els'es family crying.
I am not on a power kick, i don't think i'm leeroy brown.
but when push comes to shove i WILL NOT PLAY.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts